Cross threaded spark plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Worst starters I've ever installed were on Intercoursable 345/392 engines in school buses. The upper bolt is nearly impossible due to clearance problems with the frame rail. If there's a "special tool" for this, I don't know of it. If I did these more often, I'd invent the tool.

And, of course, those engines got the ignition timing checked by connecting the timing light to #8 instead of #1, which used to throw a lot of newbies.
Didnt you just mention a Monza starter the other day?
My worst starter experiance was a friends 4 banger Monza.
Called a buddy of mine who told you have to pull the exhaust to get the starter out.
That was already enough to know that it would suck.
So I get to his house and he has made his own DIY jack stands.
He took two soup pots, Wedged a bunch of split firewood on end in the pots.
Wrapped the firewood in duct tape.
Flipped the pots over so the wood was in the mud and dropped the car on them.
He had been under that car for hours with it like that.
I bought him a set of jack stands for early Christmas.
RIP Paul.
And good man and the Pierce County King of Sketch.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Except for that 3rd bolt which almost nobody put back in. I know my 66 T-Bird didn't get one put back in :anitoof:
The 2nd gen birds are my weak spot.
Ive had a few and sure I will have another.
The 1st gen birds are really cool cars.
But I am 6'4" and about 240.
I cant drive them.
I dont fit and my elbow sticks out the window because of that flat schoolbus steering wheel.
You might be interested in this if youre a bird guy.
I had a 57 for a short time.
There used to be a guy in the Factoria suburb of Seattle who does nothing but 1st gen birds.
That was cool enough.
Went to his shop and he owns the only ever made 1957 Factory Supercharged Ranch Wagon.
It is spotless and like new.
This is back before cell phones had cameras otherwise I would have taken a whole bunch of pictures of that badass car.
It has wood panellng and a I think it has a luggage roof rack.
It was a while ago but I got to sit in a Unicorn car.
Friggen awesome.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought the USPS ran (or still run?) Iron Duke engines on their vehicles? I bet they rack up millions of miles...how do they change spark plugs on those?

My wife drives a minivan 3.6 Pentastar. I read somewhere here the intake has to come out to replace rear spark plugs? We're at 80k on that vehicle... we'll see.

Otherwise, my "fleet" consists of LS/SBC vehicles, so I don't worry about struggling with changing spark plugs.

My first car was a 99 Malibu with the V6. I was foolish back then to think you had to change sparks every oil change! LOL. Don't blame, at least I changed my own oil at 18! I soon realized that all that pain for replacing the rear plugs was unnecessary!

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I remember right... at one of the early Lemons races there was a team of experienced mechanics driving terribly and racking up on-track penalties. Finally the race judges pulled them off-track. At the same time there was a newbie team of not-very-experienced mechanics. The starter went out on their Northstar motor, and with it being under the intake manifold, they were struggling. The judges turned to the team of bad drivers and said, "You guys wanna get back on track? Change their starter.", and they got it done fairly quick. They also drove better afterwards.