Correct amount of rust for a life in Pacific Northwest?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That truck is considered rust free, I live about 6hrs north of Eugene, we are pretty lucky in the winters, we really don’t get a lot of salt on our roads, for the most part our winters can be pretty mild.
My girl has property in Port Susan, Wa.

Aris

Reaction score
I just recently purchased a 97 c1500 from Vancouver Island, the body was 99% rust free, however, the frame had surface rust just like yours all over it. I just took a wire brush and rag, cleaned the surface rust off the best I could and Fluid Filmed the whole frame. Structurally it is still good to go and the fluid film will prevent it from rusting further.

Last edited:

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 1999 F250 diesel has the same surface rust and it’s only been in the snow three times in it’s life. And I’m in So Cal. The most “off road” it’s seen is camping trip logging roads. That looks like the typical “rust” that frames get when the wax wears off after years of use. Now bubbling rust/rot or if the rockers/doors/fender/ wheel well corners/edges are rusted …yeah…be careful.
Here is the underside of my 1999 F250. It’s all surface rust.
You must be registered for see images attach

Aqua-pig

Reaction score
For what it’s worth my ‘91 zz1 was sold new on the Oregon coast to my grandfather. He drove it daily and used it weekly dunking his boat trailer in and out of the bay. I bought the truck in ‘02 and still have it. It’s spent its entire life outside on the Oregon coast and willamette valley. The only real cancer was confined to its original back bumper, which was an easy fix. I’ve put a ton of money and time into it since then, it’s definitely not “grandpas half ton” anymore.
Point being, based off the photos it looks like a rig that was used and taken care of and I see nothing to shy away from. 20 plus years on the road you’d be a little grimy and rusty too. There’s a difference between some surface rust and severe pitting and rot. Which I don’t see any of.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the pics, I would call that a rust free vehicle if there is no rust on the body itself.
Surface rust on the frame and such is nothing to worry about at all. Body rot from living in the PNW is pretty rare around here any way.

99Yak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I purchased my 97 GMC K2500 in Grand Ronde, but, I think it spent most of its life around The Dalles. It had less surface rust than Burb in the pics. But that was 8 years ago.

The Burb from the pics spent most of its time around Sublimity/ Lyons. At least that’s what I can decipher from the CarFax.

I pulled the trigger on it, so I’ll make sure to beep horn and wave when I go by your houses. . Thanks again for the help.

jhornsby3

Reaction score
Being in Sheridan, Oregon (West Valley) and having several vehicles from used to new, that looks like a typical GM vehicle that came out of canada. My 99 Burb that was from Boise it's whole life, until I drove it all over hell and half of Georgia, looked exactly the same. My 95 pick up came from Bend looked the same. The only real problems I have ever seen was the moss builds up and plugs up the body drains and can cause rust. More so on the early trucks coming out of GM Canada. Bad primer issues. My 95 pick up took me two years to get the moss pressure washed out after moving to Boise.

So, I have to ask. Being as Grande Rounde is just a few miles to my west, and you buying a vehicle from there. Was it full of meth or pot?:D

99Yak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Being in Sheridan, Oregon (West Valley) and having several vehicles from used to new, that looks like a typical GM vehicle that came out of canada. My 99 Burb that was from Boise it's whole life, until I drove it all over hell and half of Georgia, looked exactly the same. My 95 pick up came from Bend looked the same. The only real problems I have ever seen was the moss builds up and plugs up the body drains and can cause rust. More so on the early trucks coming out of GM Canada. Bad primer issues. My 95 pick up took me two years to get the moss pressure washed out after moving to Boise.

So, I have to ask. Being as Grande Rounde is just a few miles to my west, and you buying a vehicle from there. Was it full of meth or pot?:D
lol! Not that I’m aware of, but I never meet the seller. Found it on Craigslist($4k 120k miles) Never heard of the place but, when expanded the little map I realized it was just over the mountains from my sister and brother-in-law. They had acreage on the little Nestucca River at the time. Got the deal done quick before anyone could get out from a city.

Now back to the Meth. They moved out there from Beaverton in the mid/late 90’s. They were quickly greeted by the local authorities that wanted a “look-see” in their barns. Once they were satisfied they weren’t in the Meth business they left them alone.
You must be registered for see images attach

I guess it must still be an industry around there?