Correct amount of rust for a life in Pacific Northwest?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99Yak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I’m looking at suburban that is said to have spend most of its time in Salem/Eugene Oregon area. Do these photos back that up?

It obviously didn’t spend its life in Michigan, however, I have been warned to stay away from vehicles west of the coastal range.

Attachments

• IMG_0585.jpeg
    IMG_0585.jpeg
    529.1 KB · Views: 17

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
That is extremely minimal surface rust. Trucks that have been subjected to road salt continuously would show more rust/rust flaking/pitting. I’m no expert on Pacific NW trucks, but I’d say the seller is truthful about its history.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I live in Eugene, Oregon and that is what is known as "surface rust". Is that listed on CL or FB or....?

99Yak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is extremely minimal surface rust. Trucks that have been subjected to road salt continuously would show more rust/rust flaking/pitting. I’m no expert on Pacific NW trucks, but I’d say the seller is truthful about its history.
I agree. The Carfax registration history corroborates the 2nd owners info. However, it has a little more surface rust than my Oregon K2500 had when I brought it home. Since it was a tow vehicle, I wanted to double check on whether or not it did all its towing at the “Beachhouse”.

Ive been warned by several people that Coastal vehicles may not be “honest” vehicles.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I agree. The Carfax registration history corroborates the 2nd owners info. However, it has a little more surface rust than my Oregon K2500 had when I brought it home. Since it was a tow vehicle, I wanted to double check on whether or not it did all its towing at the “Beachhouse”.

Ive been warned by several people that Coastal vehicles may not be “honest” vehicles.
All the more reason to have the vehicle inspected before purchase, if you are worried. I always insist on seeing paperwork of past repair and maintenance history. If there is none, the vehicle may not have been taken care of correctly. Looks is one thing, the mechanical innards is another.

99Yak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I live in Eugene, Oregon and that is what is known as "surface rust". Is that listed on CL or FB or....?

All the more reason to have the vehicle inspected before purchase, if you are worried. I always insist on seeing paperwork of past repair and maintenance history. If there is none, the vehicle may not have been taken care of correctly. Looks is one thing, the mechanical innards is another.
Any chance you will be in Portland soon?

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
No plans to be in Portland soon. I try to stay away from that city. If is advertised some place and I can look at that, I can help with at least the info supplied and maybe even what to ask for as far as seller supplied information. I work out of my home in Eugene. I am retired but still average 8-10 vehicles a month as side work.