Core support interchange

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think that's true of all years. My 95 has a series of hooks that latch the bumper filler to the core support, and 7mm screws to hold it in place. I suppose you could attach the grille to the filler strip without attaching it to the core support, but then the grille would float freely, held on by just 4 screws across the top.
You must be registered for see images attach

This is a picture of the screws and hook tab I was talking about.
Correct, this is the style beginning with the 1994 redesign.

Richard

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Just a heads up for any one that is going to change your core support from a donor truck. THEY ARE ALL NOT THE SAME!:fca5278d::fca5278d::fca5278d: They all have the same dimensions and will fit BUT check the opening for the air flow to the radiator.
The core for my '98 Suburban had a 37" opening and the one that I swapped from the donor truck ('90 4.3) was about 9"(?) smaller width wise,and the early core does not have all of the neccessary hole punched for the accessories that the later model truck.
I modified the early core to match the late core and it only took a few hours of measuring, marking, drilling and painting and it looks like it will work out. I just want to save anyone that might have to do this swap in the future the head ache of all the extra monkeying around. My suggestion is to stay within model changes, TBI vs Vortec and 8 cylinder vs 6 cylinder.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Just a heads up for any one that is going to change your core support from a donor truck. THEY ARE ALL NOT THE SAME!:fca5278d::fca5278d::fca5278d: They all have the same dimensions and will fit BUT check the opening for the air flow to the radiator.
The core for my '98 Suburban had a 37" opening and the one that I swapped from the donor truck ('90 4.3) was about 9"(?) smaller width wise,and the early core does not have all of the neccessary hole punched for the accessories that the later model truck.
I modified the early core to match the late core and it only took a few hours of measuring, marking, drilling and painting and it looks like it will work out. I just want to save anyone that might have to do this swap in the future the head ache of all the extra monkeying around. My suggestion is to stay within model changes, TBI vs Vortec and 8 cylinder vs 6 cylinder.

Makes a guy wonder if the 28" radiator had a smaller hole punched than the 34"? Either one could be had with a V8. Or what about the 2500 trucks with their taller 19" cores vs the 17" tall units the other trucks got?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Even some of the early V8 trucks had the narrow radiator, not just the 4.3 V6 stuff. There really are a lot of variations in these trucks over the years; they do have an amazing amount of compatibility but very far from some folks idea of "fits every year"

Richard