Core support interchange

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think my canister is on a bracket bolted to the inner fender. It's the rectangular canister.
Yeah rectangular canister is 98-up...though I want to say the 98's I've worked on had it mounted to the core support? Maybe I'm mis-remembering; they had to change the washer bottle and neck design to go along with that canister change, too. Might also be some differences based on whether the truck had the aux battery tray or the storage box.

Richard

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah rectangular canister is 98-up...though I want to say the 98's I've worked on had it mounted to the core support? Maybe I'm mis-remembering; they had to change the washer bottle and neck design to go along with that canister change, too. Might also be some differences based on whether the truck had the aux battery tray or the storage box.

Richard

Mine hangs off the structure that the battery tray/toolbox sit on top of. Same for the couple other 98+ trucks that I've paid attention to the charcoal canister on. It uses 3 barbed hooks and the assembly just slides down into place.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I took a couple of pictures. The box was added by me... it's from my dad's old 96. It's my understanding that they were only offered for a couple of years.

It looks like the canister is bolted to a bracket on the inner fender, although that bracket looks like it may also goes to the core support..
. or it could stop short. It looks like the radiator is inbetween in the picture. I'll have to look again.
You must be registered for see images attach

I wish I new where my PS fluid was weeping from. It could be that filter leaking.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So that bracket strap dealie is what has the hooks on it. It slips down into the bigger piece that holds either a battery tray or toolbox. That bracket as I recall is bolted to the core support, inner fender, and possibly the fender itself.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In addition to what Mars said, the older trucks likely had sealed beam headlights and your 97 probably has composite. Not sure if the mounting holes are different but might want to check it.

my neighbor has the mini-quad setup, the core support that I put in his truck originally had composites on it. My 99 cclb had sealed beams & I swapped to mini-quads. I didn't do any mods to make the headlights mount.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I wish I would have found this earlier. My truck was originally the single sealed beam w/t front end but about 4 years ago my dad swapped it to the composite headlight front end. Only problem was the grille filler not fitting because of the bumper brackets and fender extensions. Well I ordered everything to replace the used stuff and everything to correct the filler problem.

Grille
Lights
Bumper
All four bumper brackets
Fender extensions
Grille filler
And all new hardware from LMC

Two days ago I swapped everything over and realized that my core support doesn’t have the provisions in it for the 94-99 filler panel to mount to. I’ve found a single video on YouTube of someone showing the difference and now I’m stuck with either replacing the core support OR going back to the 88-93 Silverado grille and selling my current grille, fender extensions, filler panel, and lights.
If you are talking about the filler panel that goes below the grill and above the bumper neither one of the two different styles attach to the core support. The early stlye filler attaches to the bottom of the grill with plastic push rivets and the later stlye filler has provisions to clip to the bottm of the grill.

Canadian Rust Bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are talking about the filler panel that goes below the grill and above the bumper neither one of the two different styles attach to the core support. The early style filler attaches to the bottom of the grill with plastic push rivets and the later style filler has provisions to clip to the bottom of the grill.
I don't think that's true of all years. My 95 has a series of hooks that latch the bumper filler to the core support, and 7mm screws to hold it in place. I suppose you could attach the grille to the filler strip without attaching it to the core support, but then the grille would float freely, held on by just 4 screws across the top.

This is a picture of the screws and hook tab I was talking about.

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score
All five of my trucks the grills are attached top and bottom to the core support and the fillers are attached to the grills. '88,'90, '90 ,'92 and '98. I am in the middle of changing the '98 over from composite to sealed beam. I will double check in the morning to see if the filler attaches to the core support.

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score
I don't think that's true of all years. My 95 has a series of hooks that latch the bumper filler to the core support, and 7mm screws to hold it in place. I suppose you could attach the grille to the filler strip without attaching it to the core support, but then the grille would float freely, held on by just 4 screws across the top.

This is a picture of the screws and hook tab I was talking about.
MY apologies!You where correct :33:my '98 filler has the attachment points they just were not attached! It seems that the someone bashed the front of the Suburban and did a poor job of repairing it before I acquired it