Core support interchange

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
i know core supports from 96-98 will work for my 97. What is the difference between them and earlier years? I have access to 3 free supports from TBI trucks. If it’s a matter of j-clips being in different places then it’s a no-brainer. I can’t find any info online about WHY they’re different. Thanks

Reaction score
Looks like the all have the same part number.

You must be registered for see images
I’ve seen that as well. I wonder why it doesn’t list a 5.7? Why would they show different years if it’s the same part #? Any thoughts?

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
I’ve seen that as well. I wonder why it doesn’t list a 5.7? Why would they show different years if it’s the same part #? Any thoughts?
God question...maybe cuz 5.0s & 5.7s are identical blocks :shrug: and a 7.4 isn't even listed.They get you for $125.00 shipping on a truck....I'd go elsewhere given a choice.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can say from experience that when I bought a support from Certifit, It had extra holes in it accommodate the differences.

also from a recent experience, doing a 3/4 nose on my neighbors truck. his is an 89 & I took the donor parts from a 98, both trucks were a/c equipped 5.7L models, because the LMC catalog said that they were the same parts. these were 2 oem supports & fenders that I was swapping out.
1: support had some j-clips in diff locations
2: the 7mm screw nuts were plastic one & metal on the other
3: the charcoal canister bracket mounts to the support differently. the 89 has welded nuts on the inside while the 98 doesn't, so I had to add nuts & washers to mount the 89 assembly to the 98 unit.
4: headlight harness clips across the front were mounted in a diff direction.

I didn't have any issues, just take your time & compare all of the clips

You must be registered for see images attach

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In addition to what Mars said, the older trucks likely had sealed beam headlights and your 97 probably has composite. Not sure if the mounting holes are different but might want to check it.

vr1967

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The factory 95 up has an extra hump on each side with screw holes for the grill.

I changed one once for a buddy and ended up cutting the two jumps off the old one and screwed to the new one.

I'll see if I can catch up with him in the next few days and get a picture of what I'm talking about.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I put a TBI work truck core support in my 88 C1500 Silverado and everything fit just fine. I was concerned about the different headlights but they seem to go both ways.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The headlight mounts are a non-issue as Supercharged found; regardless of the large sealed beams (work truck style), dual sealed beams (88-89), or composites. In fact the dual sealed and composites mount using the same 4 bolt holes, and for the large sealed beams, the holes are there for the adjusters and springs.

There are several revisions of core supports over the years; the first few years don't have the holes punched for the fasteners needed to mount the 94-up grille properly, there are a few more mounting spots on the Vortec era stuff, and it changed yet again in 98 because of the new evap canister design. All in all there are probably a dozen core supports with minute variations across the years.

For the -most- part you can make any of them work with a little tweaking, but it's best to get one from a year as close as possible to your truck. Also? Skip aftermarket; they're flimsy as hell. Try to score an original from the boneyard if you can.

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
...there are a few more mounting spots on the Vortec era stuff, and it changed yet again in 98 because of the new evap canister design.

I think my canister is on a bracket bolted to the inner fender. It's the rectangular canister.