Core shifters back in stock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Holy crap, you should get the whole transmission for that price!
That Core/Hurst shifter really makes a difference.
The crisp short throws are so much nicer than that factory oar. The Core has less play, side-to-side, in neutral than the factory one has in 1st gear.
The S/wheel, the shifter & the pedals are your connection to the vehicle.
They get used every time the truck gets driven.
A Core shifter along with a leather steering wheel were a couple of the best mods I ever did to my '97.
Felt very much like the Hurst Competition Plus that I had in my '70 BBC Nova SS.
Worth every penny of the $300.00.

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
"Hurst Competition Plus that I had in my '70 BBC Nova SS". I understand those shifters and used them, but these 5 speed just look like a stick in a hole. I haven't driven one so I don''t know.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
"Hurst Competition Plus that I had in my '70 BBC Nova SS". I understand those shifters and used them, but these 5 speed just look like a stick in a hole. I haven't driven one so I don''t know.
Lol! Gimme linkages! Bellcranks!
Manual pedal & shift-throw adjustments!
I understand them because I've broken them or screwed them up one way or another & have had to fix them.
I've snapped arms off of bellcranks. Bent the clutch adjustment push rod. Killed clutch forks.
Cause...high HP/big torque BBC + stick. Stuff happens.
Hydro clutches feel so...so...asian. Have a rubber-band consistency. Foot feel is 'light'. To me that equals weak. Seems cheap.
None of that nice crisp positive feel of a mechanical.
Hydraulics also limit the performance.
Without mods, they don't like high rpm quick, snappy shifting.
Forget about no-lift bang shifts. The fluid can't flow fast enough to keep up to the demand.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lol! Gimme linkages! Bellcranks!
Manual pedal & shift-throw adjustments!
I understand them because I've broken them or screwed them up one way or another & have had to fix them.
I've snapped arms off of bellcranks. Bent the clutch adjustment push rod. Killed clutch forks.
Cause...high HP/big torque BBC + stick. Stuff happens.
Hydro clutches feel so...so...asian. Have a rubber-band consistency. Foot feel is 'light'. To me that equals weak. Seems cheap.
None of that nice crisp positive feel of a mechanical.
Forget about no-lift bang shifts. The fluid can't flow fast enough to keep up to the demand.
Check out the drill mod the F-body crowd used to do. Theres a restriction built into the hose down to the slave cylinder that restricts the flow just so we cant shift without lifting. Open that up and it reacts just as fast as mechanical linkage.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score

No argument on the feel issue, but I can no lift shift my 6.0L/T56 motivated Z28 @ 6700prm with no problems...that's how you get it into the 11s ;)

Core definitely makes a good product.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
No argument on the feel issue, but I can no lift shift my 6.0L/T56 motivated Z28 @ 6700prm with no problems...that's how you get it into the 11s ;)

Core definitely makes a good product.
T-56. Totally different animal than the basic minimum standard NV3500 with it's stupidly stepped ratios & it's weak-ish design.
Comparing a true performance oriented transmission against one designed for light trucks = apples/oranges.
There is no way an NV3500 will stand up for very long when up against even a stock 6.0 consistently shifted @ 6700 rpm.

Check out the drill mod the F-body crowd used to do. Theres a restriction built into the hose down to the slave cylinder that restricts the flow just so we cant shift without lifting. Open that up and it reacts just as fast as mechanical linkage.
Exactly. Like I said, "...without mods."
The mod requires a l-o-n-g drill bit to reach that restriction.