Cooling system advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
I'm sure all of you know about the infamous intake manifold heater hose leak. On the 5.7 vortec. I replaced it with the aftermarket that isn't supposed to get eaten by the antifreeze. I put thread tape on the nipple. It has began to leak again. Any advice on how to fix it to not leak? Even after fix.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
I'm sure all of you know about the infamous intake manifold heater hose leak. On the 5.7 vortec. I replaced it with the aftermarket that isn't supposed to get eaten by the antifreeze. I put thread tape on the nipple. It has began to leak again. Any advice on how to fix it to not leak? Even after fix.

Is a good option to convert to a different coolant type?

C30454

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it leaking from the nipple to manifold connection or the pipe to nipple connection?

Tom

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
Or what if I put some high temp rtv on the threads? Or around them?

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
Is it leaking from the nipple to manifold connection or the pipe to nipple connection?

Tom
It is leaking from nipple to manifold

C30454

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's possible that someone boogered up the threads during an extraction of a broken nipple at some point in it's life and created a leak point. What did the manifold threads look like? I would remove the nipple and see if there is damage. I have had to use a die grinder and carbide burrs or a small hacksaw blade on the inside and cut three grooves in the broken nipple to extract it. Someone may have not been careful enough and cut a groove in the manifold threads at some point which leaves a nice little channel for coolant to escape. If there is no damage, they usually don't leak.

It is a tapered pipe thread, and you could try slightly running the tap in and cleaning up minor prior damage. Then use some liquid Teflon sealant on the threads. If the threads are obviously damaged, try the liquid Teflon anyway.

Tom

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
It's possible that someone boogered up the threads during an extraction of a broken nipple at some point in it's life and created a leak point. What did the manifold threads look like? I would remove the nipple and see if there is damage. I have had to use a die grinder and carbide burrs or a small hacksaw blade on the inside and cut three grooves in the broken nipple to extract it. Someone may have not been careful enough and cut a groove in the manifold threads at some point which leaves a nice little channel for coolant to escape. If there is no damage, they usually don't leak.

It is a tapered pipe thread, and you could try slightly running the tap in and cleaning up minor prior damage. Then use some liquid Teflon sealant on the threads. If the threads are obviously damaged, try the liquid Teflon anyway.

Tom
I don't think the threads are damaged. I believe the dexcool are through the Teflon tape I out on the nipple. Perhaps I will try a hose nipple with a clamp. With maybe some high temp rtv (for automotive use) as sealant on the upper threads.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This connection is known for leaking. I removed mine years ago, and replaced the nipple, with a king nipple. Then replaced the hose with standard heater hose. Like what was used before this design. Its simple, easy to do and works as it should.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't have a pic of the connection @ the manifold, but you can see I spliced a 90 degree hose behind the manifold.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
This connection is known for leaking. I removed mine years ago, and replaced the nipple, with a king nipple. Then replaced the hose with standard heater hose. Like what was used before this design. Its simple, easy to do and works as it should.
Did you put any sealant such as Teflon tape on the threads