Cooling system advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It has been done for a long time, I just dont remember. Teflon cant hurt anything though. A king nipple is tapered. It is NPT threads. I think it's 3/4 but not 100 percent on that
You must be registered for see images attach

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe, like I said, it's been a long time

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
It has been done for a long time, I just dont remember. Teflon cant hurt anything though. A king nipple is tapered. It is NPT threads. I think it's 3/4 but not 100 percent on that
You must be registered for see images attach
Thanks for the help kenny, I was wondering the thread type. I will update thread when I get everything fixed up. Gonna put a brass pipe nipple with new heater hose. May put high temp rtv on top threads. Not sure.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Blue Turd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I did this on my own truck, both oem heater quick connects broke flush with the block. Easily extracted with the Lisle special tool designed just for this job. Luckily the threads were okay, so I replaced both of them with the upgraded Dorman brand part which is made of steel and not cheap pot metal. These are available for a couple bucks at any local auto parts store.

They come pre applied with some kind of paint on sealant, and so far have not leaked since. Also being steel they should not break of in the block again when they are removed in the future.

I considered replacing the quick connects all together with just a normal hose nipple, but I couldn't find the size needed locally, and I needed my truck asap, so I just went with the upgraded Dorman part. So far no issues.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
After I fix the fitting. I only need to add coolant to the reservoir yes?

Blue Turd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After I fix the fitting. I only need to add coolant to the reservoir yes?

I'd do a complete system burp just to make sure coolant gets up and through the heater core, as the pipes you just repaired are a system high point.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
I'd do a complete system burp just to make sure coolant gets up and through the heater core, as the pipes you just repaired are a system high point.
So I should add a little to the radiator cap?

Blue Turd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I should add a little to the radiator cap?

Yeah make sure the radiator is filled to the top, and reservoir has coolant in it. Also set heat to full blast to check that coolant is moving through the heater core. Then burp as usual.