Cooling system advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
Yeah make sure the radiator is filled to the top, and reservoir has coolant in it. Also set heat to full blast to check that coolant is moving through the heater core. Then burp as usual.
Ok will do

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Add coolant to the cold level on the reservoir. Add coolant to just below the radiator fill neck and start the truck with the cap off. When the thermostat opens, the level may drop so add more coolant then. You'll see the bubbles coming out so give them time to subside. Replace the cap, let it cool down and check the level again.

They make special funnels with a reservoir and plug to make it easier (cleaner) but it isn't necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
Add coolant to the cold level on the reservoir. Add coolant to just below the radiator fill neck and start the truck with the cap off. When the thermostat opens, the level may drop so add more coolant then. You'll see the bubbles coming out so give it time. Replace the cap, let it cool down and check the level again.

They make special funnels with a reservoir and plug to make it easier (cleaner) but it isn't necessary.

Ok thanks after I let it cool do I need to top it off only in the reservoir or in the radiator also

Blue Turd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok thanks after I let it cool do I need to top it off only in the reservoir or in the radiator also

After all the air is out of the system and it is cold again fill radiator back to top then cap it, then make sure the reservoir is back to the cold marking.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's a video showing the funnel that fits into a cap. It makes for a lot less mess, otherwise just use a turkey baster and crap load of rags to catch any overflow as it vents.

Skip to 16 minutes...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Blue Turd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have one of those Lisle spill free funnels. It's one of my favorite tools. I think it only cost me like 20 bucks on amazon. Makes cooling system bleeding super easy with no mess or wasted coolant.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
Here's a video showing the funnel that fits into a cap. It makes for a lot less mess, otherwise just use a turkey baster and crap load of rags to catch any overflow as it vents.

Skip to 16 minutes...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Thanks man I'll watch it

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
I have one of those Lisle spill free funnels. It's one of my favorite tools. I think it only cost me like 20 bucks on amazon. Makes cooling system bleeding super easy with no mess or wasted coolant.
I'll find one somewhere or just get rags. Last time I replaced the fitting I never bled the system I just topped up in antifreeze in the reservoir. What happens if you don't bleed it?

Blue Turd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll find one somewhere or just get rags. Last time I replaced the fitting I never bled the system I just topped up in antifreeze in the reservoir. What happens if you don't bleed it?

The funnel is totally not necessary, it's just nice to have when doing this kind of work. You very well might be fine by just topping off radiator and overflow reservoir then driving around. It might take a bit of time to have the air naturally escape from the system. Last time I did this without bleeding I had an airlock on my heater core, so no coolant would flow through it. Had to do a proper bleed to fix that and get my heat working again.

Blue Turd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just watch your temperature gauge, as if there is a huge amount of air in the system, the motor could overheat. I highly doubt this would happen just from the bit of coolant lost from the heater hoses, but you never know.