Comverting from drw to srw with just wheels and bed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burb99

Reaction score
1 ton srw vans 73 - 94 had a lot of back spacing. A company I worked at had 20 series Trucks and 30 series vans and the 8 lug C-20 rim would'nt fit on a 30 series van because of incorrect back spacing. They are ugly steel rims and will be difficult to locate but might give the correct alignment. A problem with this solution is front rims and rear rims won't interchange.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Better question is why bother making it SRW? Most people go the other way. Since it's an auction truck, I'm guessing you got a screaming deal and really wanted SRW, but nothing hauls like a dually.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure what burb is saying but I had a van rear in a truck I built, had 15s on it. They have huge drums, so maybe that is what your thinking they won't fit. I think they have the same size drums as newer 1 ton rears, and I had 15s on that as well.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Just swap the rear axle, and remove the spacers on the front. Then get SRW rims. You will have the added benefit of better brakes in the front than most SRW trucks. I would suggest getting a 14bff from a 1-ton as it should have the drums mounted on the front of the rear hubs rather than the back... that means they'll slide off, rather than pulling axles shafts and hubs to get to the brakes.

The box is going to be a problem.... you're box sides are cut out for those fiberglass flares.

Johnny89345

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that truck is what you have, that is a standard dually. Cab n chassis never had a bed, and the rear was really narrow. If you put a standard 8' bed on a cab n chassis, even with the duals, the outside tires would be bout flush with the body. If you put H1s on above truck, it would look absolutely stupid cause the tire would be way tucked inside. Putting H1s on a dually truck puts the track width close to a stock SRW truck. But H1s are 16.5s, and tires are getting tough to find. H2s have similar offset, but don't think it's enough to tuck. Why not just swap the hubs/rotors and rear axle to get a SRW??

If that truck is what you have, that is a standard dually. Cab n chassis never had a bed, and the rear was really narrow. If you put a standard 8' bed on a cab n chassis, even with the duals, the outside tires would be bout flush with the body. If you put H1s on above truck, it would look absolutely stupid cause the tire would be way tucked inside. Putting H1s on a dually truck puts the track width close to a stock SRW truck. But H1s are 16.5s, and tires are getting tough to find. H2s have similar offset, but don't think it's enough to tuck. Why not just swap the hubs/rotors and rear axle to get a SRW??

Well i was under the impression the mounts are in different spots and didnt want to cut and weld right Now. Im bidding on it now. I really want a 6.5/4l80e over my 6.2 and this truck looks like its going to go cheap. All the parts id need to convert i have. I have an 89 reg cab k3500

Last edited: