Comp Cams 268H and 1.6 rockers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if I’m understanding correctly, it would be easier (and possibly better) to run a whole Vortec engine?
No. Not if you're going to use the TBI injection; and/or if you've got to meet emissions regulations. The Vortec short-block might be do-able if the block you have doesn't accept the OEM roller-cam and lifters, thrust plate, spider and dogbones, etc.

I’ve seen people recommend the GM LT4 Hot Cam for the Vortec blocks? Does it have a slight lope to it like the Comp 268H? (12-210-2)
Massive computer tuning to make the Hot Cam work in a TBI. But even the 268H is probably going to need tuning.

If the engine lopes, it's running shiity. This is not something to hope for, or want. Folks put up with the lope because of power gains higher in the RPM band--which is not what a pickup truck needs. (or the poor thing lopes because they suck at tuning.)

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To clarify, the TBI manifold doesn't bolt onto a Vortec block. The bolt holes don't line up and the Vortec intake ports are too tall.

You must be registered for see images attach

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Planned on using a carb to be able to run the more lopey cam, as others mentioned, tuning for the TBI system is near nonexistent anymore. My dad’s got a carb to Vortec head intake for the conversion so that shouldn’t be an issue.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
.GM LT4 Hotcam or the Lunati BareBones equivalent both run well. If it is the GM one, advance it from the drop in 109/115 centerlines to 107/117 centerline. Works better in the lower compression Vortec that way.

Just listened to a clip of the Lunati cam you posted and it sounds exactly what I’m looking for!

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Full disclosure - I have a $50 flat tappet cam in one of my engines, but having learned so much in the last year, I plan on sticking with name brand rollers in the future.
Not sure if it was you or not, but I was telling somebody I wasn't happy with an Engine-tech cam. The one I had was stamped made in China and after looking at the lobes I decided to not to use it. They weren't well finished. It was one of those generic sbc .422/.444 type grinds. I ended up getting an Elgin for that engine.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
I was going to use a Holley Street Warrior 600cfm 0-08457S carb, says its got the 700r4 compatible throttle lever.

I think I’ve decided to continue with the Vortec engine and leave it with the stock roller cam then I wouldn’t have to get more machine work done to the heads.