Coil-overs: QA1 vs ALDAN

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I totally get what you are all saying about RideTech being $$$. I rationalized it because I have gone through so many different setups on the Tahoe that all sucked in one way or another that I wanted to be done with it and stop spending money. 3 different sets of coil springs, 4 different pairs of shocks, drop spindles, a few kinds of bushings that were either too soft or too squeaky, etc. Now I have a setup that rides and handles the way I want and is totally silent and unobtrusive doing it, so I can stop spending money testing different combinations of parts and spending hours swapping parts just to be disappointed in a new way. The stock setup has compromises that I don't like, and the RideTech system fixes almost all of them in ways that the others do not.
  • Delrin bushings. They last a long time and they don't squeak, and have even less deflection than poly. Energy suspension poly stuff is good, but needs regular greasing (I drive 20k miles a year in the Tahoe) and I don't have time for that. I have also had problems cracking and slotting their bushings over time, though not on a GMT400. I could not find anyone else that did a Delrin setup for the GMT400.
  • Ball mount upper coilover support. I don't really care about coilovers vs. a spring and shock, but the stock shocks are spindle mount which deflects, and the lower rubber mount also has a lot of deflection. All of that adds up to uncontrolled body motion when you have stiff springs and limited suspension travel. It's a fine setup for stock or off road because there is so much more suspension travel and it's a lot softer.
  • More caster. Many tubular arms do this, but it's still an improvement over trying to make stock arms work with different springs and shocks.
  • Ability to run the drop I want with stock spindles. This preserves the scrub radius vs. drop spindles, which helps prevent tramlining and instability with very wide tires like what I'm running.

The other benefit RideTech has is their customer service has been amazing, at least to me. My Tahoe is a little bit of an odd setup, and RideTech will revalve their coilovers for a very reasonable fee. My fronts are great stock, but I'm going with some custom shim stacks in the rear. The other companies I talked to wanted nothing to do with that stuff. At the end of the day, I'm happy to pay a little more for all the time they spent on the phone with me.

TacosnBeer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Agree Agree Agree but, I am not gonna drop 7+Gs for the suspension to modify the stock frame. IF.. and I say IF because I can't afford it... I had the money, mine as well just buy an aftermarket frame for a little more. <- my 2 cents only... that is why I am starting with the basic coil-over kits and working up from what I can afford when I can afford it. I honestly think that is the same boat MOST people are in. Hell, I didnt even pay 7 Gs for my truck and neither did most people so, gotta work within our means to keep the addiction going.

TacosnBeer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alrighty... I just ordered the ALDAN Coilover kit from Pro Performance. I must say... Travis and Eddie (c10kid) at Pro Performace are awesome to work with! Check out their site and give them a call...

https://azproperformance.com/

I will post more once I get them and get um installed since there isnt much out there on them.

Reaction score
Alrighty... I just ordered the ALDAN Coilover kit from Pro Performance. I must say... Travis and Eddie (c10kid) at Pro Performace are awesome to work with! Check out their site and give them a call...

https://azproperformance.com/

I will post more once I get them and get um installed since there isnt much out there on them.

I'm curious to hear how you like them. I'm in the same boat. I'm not really looking to drop the truck but I'm wondering if the coilovers will give it a better ride. The confusing thing about the QA1 ones are that they have spring rates from 400-650lbs/in and I have no idea which one I should pick. I also don't have scales to check the weight of the tuck. So right now I'm leaning towards the Aldan or the Vi-king ones since they have a recommended spring rate.

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
I'm curious to hear how you like them. I'm in the same boat. I'm not really looking to drop the truck but I'm wondering if the coilovers will give it a better ride. The confusing thing about the QA1 ones are that they have spring rates from 400-650lbs/in and I have no idea which one I should pick. I also don't have scales to check the weight of the tuck. So right now I'm leaning towards the Aldan or the Vi-king ones since they have a recommended spring rate.

For reference, I have the 750 lb springs and QA1’s on my 90 extended cab based on recommendations from them. I called and talked about what I had done to it and they recommended them based on weight. I’m very happy with the way they ride.

TacosnBeer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

After doing a bunch of reading on them, I went with the standard 700lb spring that come with them. You dont have to drop the truck as they are adjustable 0-2" so... You will likely get a better ride. The kit I got came with rear shocks made for the flip kit tho.... that said, they have a front coilover kit with just the front coilovers. I did get the thrust plates and a-arm brace too so, those were a bit extra. The truck I was going to buy kinda fell through but, hopefully, I can find another soon so I can get um bolted up.

Here is the front only kit:
https://azproperformance.com/collec...-front-coilover-kit-88-98-gm-truck-suv-300132

Give Pro Performance a call, they have been great to work with.

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The spring rate suggestions people get are so strange to me. The stock C1500 front springs are around 850 lb/in and the motion ratio of most of these coilover setups is not dramatically different than stock. I currently have 950 lb/in springs on the Tahoe and I definitely wouldn't want to go softer. Before I went to coilovers I had 1400 lb coil springs before going to coilovers and aside from never being able to find a stiff enough shock, felt like they were in the ballpark for a performance setup on a heavy truck with somewhat limited travel.

Garage Hack

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had the AZ Pro-performance kit on my truck for about 6 months now. This is Aldan coilovers on all 4 corners, React drop spindles, and their ladder bar setup on the rear. Belltech anti-roll bars front and rear. With sticky Michelin tires all around, the thing literally handles like it's on rails. The cornering speed is amazing. I would prefer double adjustable, these are single adjustable coilovers and I
You must be registered for see images attach
would also prefer softer springs or valving so it rides a little bit better even if it meant less performance. I'm actually located near Aldan and have talked to them a little bit about revalving. Their first recommendation was to play with tire air pressure first. I think I'm still going to ask for a change so it rides a little bit softer. Just personal preference and I don't expect it to ride like a Lexus but I would like to be a little softer.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Any pix of that with the box off?
I like the idea of the shocks outboard of the frame.
Size of wheels? Curious as to how much clearance there would be with those lower shock mounts & set 15" wheels.

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
I have had the AZ Pro-performance kit on my truck for about 6 months now. This is Aldan coilovers on all 4 corners, React drop spindles, and their ladder bar setup on the rear. Belltech anti-roll bars front and rear. With sticky Michelin tires all around, the thing literally handles like it's on rails. The cornering speed is amazing. I would prefer double adjustable, these are single adjustable coilovers and would also prefer softer springs or valving so it rides a little bit better even if it meant less performance. I'm actually located near Aldan and have talked to them a little bit about revalving. Their first recommendation was to play with tire air pressure first. I think I'm still going to ask for a change so it rides a little bit softer. Just personal preference and I don't expect it to ride like a Lexus but I would like to be a little softer.

Not a criticism, but a question... aren’t you supposed to install the coil over T-bars on top of the control arms? That’s an awful lot of spring pressure on those mounting bolts. On mine, shown below, I ground off the welded nuts and mounted it topside with nuts and bolts.

Last edited: