Coil-overs: QA1 vs ALDAN

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Garage Hack

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly I don't know but I will ask the crew at AZ Pro-performance about the mounting orientation. I don't have any pics with the box off. Interestingly, if it was installed wrong, after a good alignment the thing tracks as straight as an arrow and the brakes are amazing.

Appreciate you guys taking the time to take a look!

Not a criticism, but a question... aren’t you supposed to install the coil over T-bars on top of the control arms? That’s an awful lot of spring pressure on those mounting bolts. On mine, shown below, I ground off the welded nuts and mounted it topside with nuts and bolts.

You must be registered for see images attach

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
Honestly I don't know but I will ask the crew at AZ Pro-performance about the mounting orientation. I don't have any pics with the box off. Interestingly, if it was installed wrong, after a good alignment the thing tracks as straight as an arrow and the brakes are amazing.

Appreciate you guys taking the time to take a look!

No worries man, looks pretty solid otherwise. I’d just be concerned with the mounting orientation for strength and longevity. You shouldn’t have a problem with alignment if you need to move it as long as your Z height stays the same.

Last edited:

TacosnBeer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was gonna ask the same thing. I have that same ALDAN set up and Figure 2 in the directions clearly have the mounting of the bottom of the coil-over on TOP of the LCA.. I can't imagine those small 3/8" bolts have the strength to carry the weight of the front end. I even have the ALDAN thrust plates for more strength.

Juicebox

Reaction score
I don't have the Aldans on my truck (Yet) but have had them on other vehicles. They are not new, they have been around since the 80s. They make quality stuff, all of which is american made and warrantied for life. No cheap parts and they will rebuild them for you as needed, so they keep my business.

TacosnBeer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Funny you mention their warranties and such... My kit was made for 88-98 trucks (my truck is a 98 GMC C1500 2wd Single cab Short bed) but, for some reason, the rear shock tower wouldn't allow them to swing toward the axle due to the head of the shock being too fat. I could have bored it out but, I reached out to Pro Performance and they were baffled, never had that issue on any other truck. They contacted ALDAN and apparently they never had the issue on OBS' either. That said. within hours, ALDAN had a little design to drop the mount for the shock which solves my issue. Before I knew it, they had the parts in the mail to me free of charge! Both Pro Performance and ALDAN are class act companies with awesome customer service!!!

Here is my issue that apparently no one ever heard of...

TacosnBeer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is the part that fixes my issue... it was in their kit for a Firebird....

Moral of the story, Pro Performance and ALDAN are awesome companies to work with and not ALL OBS trucks are built the same! LOL

Garage Hack

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was gonna ask the same thing. I have that same ALDAN set up and Figure 2 in the directions clearly have the mounting of the bottom of the coil-over on TOP of the LCA.. I can't imagine those small 3/8" bolts have the strength to carry the weight of the front end. I even have the ALDAN thrust plates for more strength.

Thanks for that feedback. Travis and the crew at Pro Performance confirmed with Aldan that it should be mounted on top of the lower control arm. I'm going to have it swapped to get it right.