Clunk noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
He would need / want the five-bolt version of that rear. Did we determine that those do indeed exist?

They do exist, but they were only in the 454SS trucks and they're incredibly rare. I've been looking for one for years now.

Might take custom axle shafts. Not sure.

You can buy the 454SS five lug axle shafts from Dutchman, those should drop right into any 2WD six lug 9.5" 14 bolt housing AFAIK. If I recall correctly there was something funky with the brakes though, like the 454SS brake mounting flanges were in a different location than the other 9.5" 14 bolts or something. Been a while since I looked into it.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
He would need / want the five-bolt version of that rear. Did we determine that those do indeed exist? I know we had some dialog about the 5-bolt 11" drums, how they're available @ RockAuto.
Those only came on the 454SS (read "RARE!")

Too bad OP's truck is not a 6 lug, otherwise that conversion is very easy. I thought you can take a 6 lug 14 bolt 9.5" axle and swap some custom axles shafts...basically make your own 454SS rear axle. I also believe you can convert them using some Express van parts, maybe I'm thinking converting to rear discs? This link as a lot of useful information on swaps: https://www.performancetrucks.net/f.../official-14-bolt-9-5-sf-truck-thread-467473/

Or he can just convert the front to a 6 lug from a 2500LD 2wd to match the rear. My brother did that to his 90 C1500. Pretty easy.

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
I went from a very slight clunk when shifting into reverse, to a harsh shudder when shifting into any gear and during gear shifts.

Check your u joints, lube your slip yoke, and make sure you remembered to plug the intake temp and MAF sensors back in after deep cleaning your engine bay. Don't ask how I know