Chrome GMC Grill (cheap and easy)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Deere 4240

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I'm sure there is someone out there who doesn't like the look of the OEM GMC grill. If you're willing to buy a billet grill thats one thing, but i didn't wana spend that kind of money on a whole new grill. So then an idea was born and it had my dad shaking his head.

I went to my local aftermarket shop and bought 32foot of chrome door edge guard for a dollar a foot. I kept it in one long peice so i could handle it easier. There is 30 foot of horizontal slats on the GMC grills but i got extra incase i screwed some up.

This is the factory set up, and yes that is my 2x4 buried in a feild thanks to some buddies.
You must be registered for see images attach

Next you just need a sharp razor knife and a some time to do it right. Pick an end and slip it over the front of one of the horizontal slats either on the left or right side. Simply push the door edge guard onto the slat all the way across.

Then leaving the guarding on the grill cut it off the roll leaving extra material so you can cut a little bit off at a time to get the right fit.

You will be able to do all the horizontal slats, the ones on the left and right of the GMC Badge, and the little one in the M too. No need to heat it up to make the clue stick because blow dryers will make the clear film on the guard to shrivel up, the natural heat from the motor wont cause it to shrivel but will get it too stick really well.

Sorry the tuck is dirty because it is quite cold this weekend.

Here it is cleaned and waxed.

93SierraWT

Greater Made Chevy
Reaction score
I'm definitely interested in doing this. Is this what you used?

You must be registered for see images

John Deere 4240

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup. It kinda has some glue type stuff in it that holds it on. And since it has that clear film it doesnt need to be polished.

Just dont get the idea to set the razor blade on the bummper while you do this because just my luck it slipped off and poked me in the foot.

93SierraWT

Greater Made Chevy
Reaction score
Did you have to cut for the strips to fit onto the vertical strips to?

Sent from my SGH-T959P using Tapatalk 2

Blazed

The Blazed One
Reaction score
Simple and effective, I like it a lot. Good job bud.

In my opinion it looks better then some of the $200+ grilles.
Its not how much you spend on your truck that matters, as long as you enjoy it.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
wow- that looks A W E S O M E

I'd love to do it to mine... but I'm not sure it would look right... I'll have to do a chop to find out because that looks amazing

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
hmmm I like this idea... good job it looks great!

Sent from my static android