centering steering wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
but the steering shaft can go only one way on the box shaft, can't it? cos they have a flat s

but the steering shaft can go only one way on the box shaft, can't it? cos they have a flat side.
Yes, but I have cheated this a click or 2 in ether direction. The fit isn't that close, or at least it isn't on my truck anyway.

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Easiest way is with adjusting tie rods. Mark each one so easy to see one complete turn. Turn both adjusters in the same direction ,the same number of turns. Start with three turns ,then drive truck enough to verify you're going the right direction. Should be able to narrow this down in just a few adjustments.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Just got back from the shop and they charged me 230 for the tail light fix. They tried their best but couldn’t get the backup lights to work. Next Wednesday morning I’ll bring it there and they will re wire it which will be around 5-600 bucks plus this

So you just gave them $230 for nothing and next you're gonna pony up 500-600 for them to do a half-assed job rewiring your taillights? After they gave you a crap alignment?

93chevyluvr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you just gave them $230 for nothing and next you're gonna pony up 500-600 for them to do a half-assed job rewiring your taillights? After they gave you a crap alignment?
Well not exactly I had them test it then had them rewire it. The guy who owned it before me put a corvette rollpan on the back and screwed everything up. So now they light up dim and am buying a plain rollpan and throwing the other away

93chevyluvr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well not exactly I had them test it then had them rewire it. The guy who owned it before me put a corvette rollpan on the back and screwed everything up. So now they light up dim and am buying a plain rollpan and throwing the other away
I will also not be going to that shop again because they do a half a$$ job and are unreliable

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doh! I shot the alignment how-to video and forgot to post the link here.
You would save considerable time and increase your accuracy by finding a good-sized piece of sheetmetal, and cutting it into four pieces of perhaps 1' by 1'; smaller can work. You'd want the sheetmetal to be as thick as you can conveniently find--but it's not critical.

Put two pieces together with a bit of grease in-between. Place the greased pairs under each front wheel. Now you've got "slip-plates", you can make an adjustment, then bounce the vehicle on it's suspension, instead of driving back and forth to take the bind out of the suspension.

I would also emphasize that when doing ANYTHING related to alignment, the process should include finding the center point/high point of the steering gear, and then locking the steering by any means, including having a wife/neighbor/young child hold the wheel while you make the needed adjustments. (Finding caster generally involves swinging the wheels to each side, so of course the steering wheel has to turn for that.)