Car audio Power Wire where to run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChRoNo16

Reaction score
Where have the rest of you run your power wires for subs?

Im not sure the best place on the firewall to safely drill, I want to run down the passenger side since the amp will likely go where the jack kit is now (Who needs that when you have AAA?)

Pictures would be greatly appreciated if anyone has them also!

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran mine alongside the starter cable and p-clamped it to the frame/body seam along the way to behind the seat belt floor plate. I came through the floor with a marine bulkhead fitting. Some people really don't like the hot cable exposed like that, but I never do more offroading than maybe an unmowed open field so it's not an issue. As long as the cable is secured so it can't fret against anything and touches no sharp edges it's fine. It's raining so I can't grab a picture at the mo.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran mine alongside the starter cable and p-clamped it to the frame/body seam along the way to behind the seat belt floor plate. I came through the floor with a marine bulkhead fitting.
Those are called adel clamps (pronounced like the singer). I'd use a marine bulkhead fitting any day instead of putting a wire through a grommet on a sharp hole.

ChRoNo16

Reaction score
Im not really sure how I feel about running the wire outside along the frame, I would have to see pictures of the setup

Onizukachan

Great Teacher
Reaction score
on mine some PO ran a 3/0 from battery,down inside the pass frame rail and came up thru the floor at the rear of the rear passenger side seat.
I wouldn’t have necessarily done it that way but a 3/0 or 2/0 won’t fit under carpet or in door channels so it does make good sense Why they did it. Amd they did protect it with that foam tubing like ac lines have plus plastic conduit and secured it. When I gutted the interior on it, I left it where it was and relocated the first distribution box after it comes thru the floor back and up to the former jack tray ledge where it was better out of the way and used longer 4 ga runs to move the fuse box to the center back wall next to the amps where it was actually accessible And useful.

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im not really sure how I feel about running the wire outside along the frame, I would have to see pictures of the setup
The trick here is to use a high-quality flexible cable, welding preferably because the insulation/sheathing is made to resist abrasion for a long time. I used dedicated sound system wire, because it's secured well and out of harm's way. I ran it alongside the starter cable, across the rounded top of the frame and secured every 12" all the way to the floor penetration. Again, I'm not an offroader or swamper so I don't have to worry about branch snags etc.