Camaro Door Chime Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Heres a 1990 Oldsmobile 88 chime module, its a green module. I post this because I have a 1990 olds 88 that Im parting and I had to replace the OE chime module back in HS to get my key in ignition and headlamps on chime LOL (too many dead batterys)

I would assume the one you found is similar in function

EDIT:

WARNING CHIME SOUNDS WHEN IT SHOULD NOT​

Open wire to ignition light switch. Open ground wire to chime module. Malfunctioning am
---------------

That is the diag for when chimes are going off when it should not, so I assume power with the relevant ground removed will chime the module. I assume this is how most of those work
I saved that pic cause my yard has a early 90s so if I can get time I'll go get it.

And I see it has turn sig input. So does it make a nice ding for that or is it an early system of the dinger when the turn signal is left on

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I saved that pic cause my yard has a early 90s so if I can get time I'll go get it.

And I see it has turn sig input. So does it make a nice ding for that or is it an early system of the dinger when the turn signal is left on
after 1 or 1.5 mile if the turn signal is continuous it will chime at you slowly

The actual turn in that car is a very solid CLICK. CLICK. CLICK. Old style can type, but its near you in the dash

bretcopsey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It may be in this thread and I missed it, but what steps do you need to take to diagnose non-functioning chime? The stock one from my 95 CCLB doesn’t work and I picked up one from a fourth gen Camaro that is also not working-no chime for headlights or key in ign. Is there a fuse to check, possibly a process to deactivate that needs undone?

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
after 1 or 1.5 mile if the turn signal is continuous it will chime at you slowly

The actual turn in that car is a very solid CLICK. CLICK. CLICK. Old style can type, but its near you in the dash
That's cool to know I knew the newer cars with a BCM does that never knew gm did it in the early 90s

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I have determined most OEM at least back then used the same design/concepts for chime modules. infact, some of those arent even ford(most are ford)
The bladed white one to the left side(not the 3 pin next to it) comes out of my f150 and is the NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

FrankieD61

The Stooge Called Slappy: Slappy'sAutoService
Reaction score

I have determined most OEM at least back then used the same design/concepts for chime modules. infact, some of those arent even ford(most are ford)
The bladed white one to the left side(not the 3 pin next to it) comes out of my f150 and is the NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Do they all sound the same? GM is the only one (I Think) who used that constant digital buzz that everyone hates. Ford chimes always sounded the same. They just recently changed as of a few years ago.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do they all sound the same? GM is the only one (I Think) who used that constant digital buzz that everyone hates. Ford chimes always sounded the same. They just recently changed as of a few years ago.
Ford was just as annoying as everyone else. The worse I ever heard was a 1980s vw rabbit
It was loud and the every door (both) caused it to go off

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'80s Japanese cars had pleasant chimes and "door is ajar" reminders, and it only took the domestic manufacturers about 15 years to figure out people would rather be pleasantly reminded rather than nagged by a buzzer.

bretcopsey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It may be in this thread and I missed it, but what steps do you need to take to diagnose non-functioning chime? The stock one from my 95 CCLB doesn’t work and I picked up one from a fourth gen Camaro that is also not working-no chime for headlights or key in ign. Is there a fuse to check, possibly a process to deactivate that needs undone?

I ended up finding a 25 amp fuse in position 7-aux power burned out. Replaced and chime now works.