Camaro Door Chime Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Reminds people their keys are in ignition or their lights are on haha. Guess i did good to get one for free a few months ago from the yard. So much better than the constant buzz.
Cool, I get it. I never knew my truck even had a chime til my grandpa found the original keys to the truck one day and gave them to me and I used them for some reason. Put the ignition key in and it started that god awful buzzing. Pulled the key out and compared it to the one we have been using for 26 years and the end of the key had been wore down from just being old and used. If I push that old key in real hard it will buzz til I let it rest in its natural position. Whatever activates that buzzer must be at the bottom end of the ignition switch receptacle. Anyways, that's my cool story for the day lol.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying that I still have the factory chime modules in both of my trucks and I've never touched them, so take this info for what it's worth... (Not much)

I SUSPECT that most of the 7-blade GM car and truck chimes from similar eras will plug right in and work just fine in place of our factory ones, either 88-94 or 95-00. There have been a few threads on this subject over the years. Next time you're at the yard you could just pull two or three with the same connector and try them out.

@thunderstruck also has a great write-up here on modifying the factory 95+ chimes. The connector looks identical on the pre-95 modules, so IF the pinout is the same then I don't see why his mods wouldn't work on a pre-95.

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/how-to-modify-the-95-warning-chime-module-plus-other-info.23667/

I take no responsibility for any of my hypothetical ramblings, and may be completely wrong about the interchangeability of these things. They just look so damn similar. Either way, get something from a car or truck in your respective year range and you should be good to go regardless.

EDIT - So I just did a little digging on here and I'm seeing everything from late 80's Caprice to Cadillac to Buick Roadmaster, even Jeep XJ chimes that people say work just fine. I'm willing to bet pretty much anything with the same connector should work.

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/how-t...oor-chime-in-the-older-95-99-gm-trucks.32067/

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/cadillac-warning-chime-electrical-cirquit-question.22946/

Last edited:

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I just came back from the JY with about 5 of these. One is tan, came from an early 90's Caprice. It's in my truck, and staying. One is red. It came from a late 80's buick park Ave or lesabre. It is faint and quiet, not sure if it's dying or what. It goes ding ding ding, but quietly. It's available if anyone wants it. All the others were black, and buzzed some at diffetent pitches. TBH, I don't remember what I yanked them from. I had my hands under a lot of dashboards. There were a lot of late 80s oldsmobiles but I couldn't find them under the dash.

Bottom line if you go picking for one of these stay away from the black ones.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Found one for the price I wanted and it arrived today. Took a few comparison pics and a video.
Pics:
You must be registered for see images attach

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just came back from the JY with about 5 of these. One is tan, came from an early 90's Caprice. It's in my truck, and staying. One is red. It came from a late 80's buick park Ave or lesabre. It is faint and quiet, not sure if it's dying or what. It goes ding ding ding, but quietly. It's available if anyone wants it. All the others were black, and buzzed some at diffetent pitches. TBH, I don't remember what I yanked them from. I had my hands under a lot of dashboards. There were a lot of late 80s oldsmobiles but I couldn't find them under the dash.

Bottom line if you go picking for one of these stay away from the black ones.
Do they all sound relatively the same? Besides the buzzers. Great info too thanks for the contribution!