Cam Choice for Gen VI 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shwoody

Reaction score
A couple other questions:
I was gonna stick some LS1 injectors in place of the stock Multec ones before putting everything back together. Good idea or is there a better injector? Looking for something reasonable priced and the LS1 injectors are dirt cheap on Craigslist.

Also, today I was talking to an engine builder I know. He suggested I buy a set of aluminum el cheapo Chinese heads instead of paying to have all the work done on my original iron heads. Sounds pretty good to me. Looks like bare heads are available on eBay for around $700. Or I could save up a little more and get a set of Edelbrocks somewhere in the $1300 range.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Which builder did you speak with? I wouldn't horse with LS1 injectors if you're entertaining the notion of a tune. I went with L67 supercharged 3.8 inectors, 36# at 3 bar and 42# at our stock 4 bar pressure. They fixed my hot starting issue that the FPR did not. Anything that flows outside of stock will require work on the tune, so may as well give yourself some cheap headroom. I got mine from the pull and pay for real cheap. ;)

Shwoody

Reaction score
Which builder did you speak with? I wouldn't horse with LS1 injectors if you're entertaining the notion of a tune. I went with L67 supercharged 3.8 inectors, 36# at 3 bar and 42# at our stock 4 bar pressure. They fixed my hot starting issue that the FPR did not. Anything that flows outside of stock will require work on the tune, so may as well give yourself some cheap headroom. I got mine from the pull and pay for real cheap. ;)

The builder is a cool older dude I know. Friend of a friend. He's been building engines for a long time and seems to know his stuff.
I was gonna have Geddes do the machine work. I used to work right next door so I think he'll help me out some. Didn't get his opinion on the Chinese heads yet. Do you have any thoughts? I normally avoid anything Chinese but a $300 aluminum head is pretty appealing.
I'll keep an eye out for those 3.8l injectors. There is nothing wrong with the LS1 style injectors, correct? Just that they're small. If I found a deal on a set of LS6 or LS2 injectors, those would be just as good?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The quality of an LS1/6 injector is great, my point is that if you are deviating from stock and paying that price get your money's worth. PM me the builder, there are many here. I would say **** the Chinese heads. At the least, they have terrible porosity issues. Geddes has my full attention at the moment for my LS needs. FWIW he did polish a crank for me and the beat to hell motor is still healthy.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The quality of an LS1/6 injector is great, my point is that if you are deviating from stock and paying that price get your money's worth. PM me the builder, there are many here. I would say **** the Chinese heads. At the least, they have terrible porosity issues. Geddes has my full attention at the moment for my LS needs. FWIW he did polish a crank for me and the beat to hell motor is still healthy.

Shwoody

Reaction score
By the time you fix all the problems with the bottom-feeder Communist castings, you could buy real heads.

Yeah, that seems to be the general consensus unfortunately. I have a lot of respect for the dude who suggested the Chinese heads but I'll probably pass on them.
I talked to a place that'll sell me a set of Edelbrock heads for $1600.
I requested valves only since I already bought springs.

"$1600 for bare heads machined with valve guides honed and valve jobbed and a set of stainless valves included."

I requested valves only since I already bought springs. Seems like a fair price but is it a waste of money?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds about right to me. The Edelbrock heads I bought for the 400 small block in my Monte Carlo were around $800 each and they came with valves and springs installed.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh cool. What year Monte Carlo?

1970, first year. It's still a little rough around the edges but it's coming together. Really fun to drive!

You must be registered for see images