Cam and heads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fowlerjered

Reaction score
Ok I'm Hopping up my motor in my truck to make it faster but idk what way to go on the cam and heads I want a streetable cam with about a .488 lift maybe even a .500 and I'm questioning heads because I hear if I potted and polished the ones on it it will build somewhere between 40 and 50 hp but idk if that is true or not because fm performance heads only add 20 to 30

fowlerjered

Reaction score
Well I want one that won't completely destroy my fuel mileage I'm looking to build 400 hp but I want to do it without killing my pocket book in the long run

fowlerjered

Reaction score
Well it's in my 92 pickup with the stock motor I have a 5 speed in it but the cam in it doesnt pull threw the rpm's like I want

kevhill85

96 BD Tahoe!!!!
Reaction score
Well I want one that won't completely destroy my fuel mileage I'm looking to build 400 hp but I want to do it without killing my pocket book in the long run
just my IMO

Building a 350 to 400hp will = crap for gas mileage and low budget = bad gas mileage .. Now if you add supercharger, NOS, or turbos you can get good gas mileage.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Ok I'm Hopping up my motor in my truck to make it faster but idk what way to go on the cam and heads I want a streetable cam with about a .488 lift maybe even a .500 and I'm questioning heads because I hear if I potted and polished the ones on it it will build somewhere between 40 and 50 hp but idk if that is true or not because fm performance heads only add 20 to 30

With TBI heads? No way in hell port/polish is getting 50hp.

I vote Aluminum heads, and a nice roller cam.

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
your best bet will be to find a 96 to 99 vortec 350.. its a roller motor and just that is well worth it.. roller lifters can be reused and after doing a mild bottom end flat top pistons and some aftermarket vortec heads from scoggin & dickey full roller rockers, good set of headers.. do a good gasket match on the heads and intake you should have no prolem getting 400hp..

heads and cam i would use.. one thing i need to know is are you running a carb or staying TBI??

http://sdparts.com/details/scoggin-dickey-parts-center/sd8060ragp2

http://www.compperformancegroupstor...Product_Code=08-306-8&Category_Code=RLERCAMCC