L98 into K1500--> HEADS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree, save the 113s if they can be fixed for half the price of new heads, otherwise invest in technology of the now.

Vettepilot

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of good feedback here guys. Thanks. It's all interesting, so if anyone has more, keep it coming.

While the Vortecs have always intrigued me, the crack prone factor always turned me off, plus I just can't see going backwards to cast iron instead of aluminum.

Has anyone done a recent or current aftermarket Gen 1 sbc head dyno bash/test?

Thanks again,
Vettepilot

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lots of good feedback here guys. Thanks. It's all interesting, so if anyone has more, keep it coming.

While the Vortecs have always intrigued me, the crack prone factor always turned me off, plus I just can't see going backwards to cast iron instead of aluminum.

Has anyone done a recent or current aftermarket Gen 1 sbc head dyno bash/test?

Thanks again,
Vettepilot
David Vizard has tested (and published) many. The crack quotient can be overstated; just sayin'

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's not a 113 head if it is an 87 and original. They had the 128 head, which flows less over the exhaust side, has factory guideplates.
If they check out sell them to a Vette owner and buy aftermarket heads., unless you really want a GM al head then send them to Lingenfelter for porting and 2.00/1.55 valves but expect to pay like you are buying new aftermarkets.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
David Vizard has tested (and published) many. The crack quotient can be overstated; just sayin'
The crack quotient is understated if anything. Look at them wrong while they are proping open the door to your shop and they crack in multiple places. Absolute JUNK. I will never put another penny in an OE Vortec casting. If you need to find a pair that can be run on an engine, pickup about 4 used pairs and you might find 2 that are repairable.

Vettepilot

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, and who needs the heart break of investing bucks, and more importantly a bunch of labor into a set of heads only to have them crack??

Cracked heads seem to be a rather frequent problem with SBC in my experience, and from what I've heard, Vortecs particularly so.

Vettepilot

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's not a 113 head if it is an 87 and original. They had the 128 head, which flows less over the exhaust side, has factory guideplates.
If they check out sell them to a Vette owner and buy aftermarket heads., unless you really want a GM al head then send them to Lingenfelter for porting and 2.00/1.55 valves but expect to pay like you are buying new aftermarkets.

some of those "factory" guideplates are not true guideplates ... some were installed as an OEM assembly aide; employed during an automated OEM assembly process to install PRs into long block ... close look reveals the "slot" width is not narrow enough to adequately control side-to-side rocker movement. Neither are those hardened. Not unusual; that automated assembly process was revised more than once.

And, some of those earlier heads have a more rounded exhaust port; rather than later D-shaped port.

Vettepilot

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I believe the 88's got the "D" port exhaust, so my 87's are probably not. I don't have any idea how much difference there is with them.

???

Vettepilot