Calipers......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So I still haven't gotten my red truck into the shop for the new brakes/tires/steering wheel/mirror etc... I started thinking (overthinking?) about things as I tend to do. I figured I might as well replace my calipers and wheel cylinders while it's getting the rest of the brake system updated, so I went ahead and ordered some more Raybestos stuff. Element3 new uncoated calipers, part numbers FRC4417N and FRC4418N. Wheel cylinder part number WC370189. I can post pictures when they show up and general impressions after they're installed if anyone's still interested.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'm curious how good new calipers are vs. the typical rebuilt oem castings. I would have preferred coated, but I have not had the wheels off to look closely at the coated Cardones on the Saturn after a winter.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the world today, "New car parts" generally means "Made In Communist China for the lowest possible price, and the highest possible profit margin".

Beware.

This is why I like rebuilt parts. At least at one point in time, they passed QA inspection at a major manufacturer. If I rebuild them, I know they meet my specifications. (i.e., no one to blame but myself.)

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just FYI for anyone looking at those Raybestos Element3 calipers, it looks like they're in short supply at the moment. I initially tried ordering them from RockAuto but one side was out of stock, so I paid a little more and got them from Summit. I was thinking I'd get them faster but they still haven't shipped almost three weeks after I placed the order.

EDIT - Also a side note, according to the Raybestos website it looks like they may actually be zinc plated.

https://www.brakepartsinc.com/raybestos/products/calipers/element3-calipers.html

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe "Electro-galvanized?"

I know next to nothing about these processes but after a quick Google search and comparing a few pictures of surface finishes, this would be my best guess.

I think it's interesting that the Raybestos site mentions the zinc plating and the photos of the calipers seem to support that, but RockAuto has them listed as "uncoated."

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That makes sense. Electro-galvanized, also called zinc coated offers very little corrosion resistance. I work in the the constitution industry and I believe some manufacturers also call this process "mechanically galvanized."

If I recall, the tumble the parts in zinc flakes. I can't remember at the moment. And each manufacturer has their own way of doing things.

It's s completely different process as hot-dipped galvanized, where the part is dipped in molten zinc. This is obviously a more expensive operation, but also more corrosion resistant.

Of course, in a highly corrosive environment, everything corrodes, even stainless steels.