Caliper seals - where do they go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Putting new rotors and pads on my C2500 (JB7) and when I opened the box of ads there's a bunch of seals I can't figure out.
The large black ones are obvious and I think I can see the existing smaller black ones around the steel tube the caliper mount bolts pass through - but not how to remove them
And the brown ones I'm completely clueless about. Where do they go?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The o-rings go inside the casting, where the pins go thought. Remove the old ones with something like a pick. The ones that look like caps with a hole in the top go on the outside of where the pins slide through the casting. Your calipers must be pretty bad if you no longer have any of that stuff there to look at.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I meant to post a photo and forgot - here it is.

You must be registered for see images attach

The largest ones at the top I understand.
The cupped black ones - I think I can see inside the casting and as they seem OK I'll leave.
Should brown ones be between the caliper and the steering knuckle? And if so, why are there 8 of them?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I meant to post a photo and forgot - here it is.

You must be registered for see images attach

The largest ones at the top I understand.
The cupped black ones - I think I can see inside the casting and as they seem OK I'll leave.
Should brown ones be between the caliper and the steering knuckle? And if so, why are there 8 of them?

The sleeves and bolts are your slide pins. They ride on the o-rings, "the brown ones". They're inside the casting. Each caliper should have 4 of them.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The sleeves and bolts are your slide pins. They ride on the o-rings, "the brown ones". They're inside the casting. Each caliper should have 4 of them.
The sleeves - should they be perfectly free sliding in the caliper body?

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Funny seeing this today. In classic fashion two nights ago I replaced pads and rotors on both sides all buttoned up and off the jack and then found the bag of seals while cleaning up…

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I have work to do....

To replace the rubber pieces? The tall cap is best hit with a hammer after placing a socket of the top. I don't recall how I did the shorter pieces. The o-rings get pulled out with a hooked pick, I think.