Caliper Piston Leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rose359

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can buy cheap ass pads and rotors and do it every year or buy the better stuff and do it every 50k miles. Your choice. Bottom line either way it's going to cost what it costs and not a penny less. Military discounts can be illusionary. No point putting gas in a vehicle and driving cross town to save 10% on a $25 burger/bottle of beer combo where the place down the street that offers no discout has an $8 burger special and $1 drafts. You're typing out your're responses here on the greatest shopping tool to save money known to mankind.

I'll only rebuild a caliper is it's in pretty solid shape to begin with, If I think it's been cooked or possibly warped I turn it in as a core. Let it be the rebuilders problem.

The chewed up piston is just a symptom of another problem. So all these people that have responded to you of there own free will and generosity, some being pro level mechanics, their advice is spot on. So rubber brake lines, seized caliper pins etc. are all part of the diagnostic process.

If your son is in fact, a grown ass military man, he should be mature enough to be on this site to handle his own business without doling out snarky comebacks to those trying to help him.
What did I say that you consider snarky?

While your burger and beer illustration may or may not have been edifying for some, it doesn't apply to my situation - the discount is available close to home. What is illusory for my situation is the savings from "the greatest shopping tool to save money known to mankind". I am buying cast iron parts - rotors and calipers. Paying to ship a 50 pound box and then having to return ship caliper cores would consume the savings made on the online purchase.

Since you don't know my son nor his situation, your judgment regarding what he should be doing is both presumptive and meaningless.

Last edited:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Are you literally in Minneapolis or just using that as a reference point? I'm just across the border in WI and I always get nervous when I have to go inside the 494/694 loop. And when I do, I try to never go past St Paul, lol.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ever since George Floyd died of "suicide by lifestyle" while complaining loudly about being hungry and doing too many drugs, I wouldn't want to be in MSP either.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was only joking about finding trucks with brakes in that condition.
Yeah, I got that. Apparently my snark is too subtle.

Ever since George Floyd died of "suicide by lifestyle" while complaining loudly about being hungry and doing too many drugs, I wouldn't want to be in MSP either.
George Floyd didn't die because of his lifestyle, he died because Derek Chauvin put his knee on Floyd's neck for eight minutes to prove to the bystanders that he was in charge. Chauvin's in prison now because he couldn't set aside his pride. Yeah, Floyd wasn't a good role model, but the police have no authority to deliver punishment. They already have one of the hardest jobs out there, they don't need to take on the judge's job as well.

Rocket Surgeon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
well... I was going to comment on the joys of crappy calipers, such as we should be fortunate to have calipers that utilize metal pistons and not composite ones, like I have personally dealt with on fords and Chryslers.... which are prone to deforming, cracking, and seizing. Even my dad's 72 continental had composite pistons which froze up in the middle of a road trip in Italy....... or the 79 Cordoba that did the same thing in the Portugal... Fortunately my 03 f150 did the same thing, but I just grabbed a clean caliper from the local junkyard. That at least had a less than 3 month service time....

but this thread went to sheet.....

and... damn, now I feel old

Why all the Political BS??? Should I say anything? Something about two wrongs don't make a right? Like the guy who got killed by the cop was a bad guy, but not so bad he had to die bad?

WTF MATE????