Blackbear tune to disable security, rear O2s...anything else???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Just FYI, HP Tuners does not accept PCM's lower than 98 for these trucks. My instructor at college had HP Tuners on his laptop, we were able to delete the rear O2 sensors on my 98 just fine but it would not read my 97.

Darkimag22

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I cancelled by Blackbear order and ordered the MPVI2 with a couple credits (should arrive Friday with any luck). I will be deleting the rear 02 sensors and the VATS right off the bat but I have A LOT of reading and research to do before I dive into the tuning portion. Is there a "tuning for dummies" write up lol???

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I cancelled by Blackbear order and ordered the MPVI2 with a couple credits (should arrive Friday with any luck). I will be deleting the rear 02 sensors and the VATS right off the bat but I have A LOT of reading and research to do before I dive into the tuning portion. Is there a "tuning for dummies" write up lol???
That's funny! I was just going to order that HP Tuners and was going to create a post titled "HP Tuners for dummies?"

I'll just tag along for any follow ups.

Where did you order it BTW? Looks like Summit has them on sale. I'm looking for doing basic things like you such as removing VATS, EVAP, changing gear ratios... basic things.

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jet's Dynamic Spectrum Tuner is what I've used on my 1998 350 K1500 Suburban. Jet's seems to be "TunerCat" adapted to OBDII, from what I've seen (and since I've used them both).

I changed the fuel enrichment to enable enrichment after 1s (the default is much longer); also changed the enrichment "enable" thresholds so enrichment was triggered by low vacuum (high manifold pressure) instead of throttle position, so as to make it respond more like a carburetor (think "power valve"). Contact me directly if you want to know more, but doing this is as easy as it looks (with Jet's product, anyway).

I changed the fuel gauge update rate by doubling it (I think OEM rate is 60Hz, but whatever) to take the "shake" out of the fuel gauge... a common occurrence on that era truck.

I disabled the EGR. Try it yourself and see if you like it. YMMV.

I changed the up / down shift points and TCC lockup to my liking, and enabled upshifts during TCC lockup.

I disabled the AC compressor above 3000RPM, the idea being that, above 3000RPM (given my gears and driving style) I'm almost certainly accelerating and can live without the AC for a time.

These are the things that come to mind.

Last edited:

cubandeathgrip

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jet's Dynamic Spectrum Tuner is what I've used on my 1998 350 K1500 Suburban. Jet's seems to be "TunerCat" adapted to OBDII, from what I've seen (and since I've used them both).

I changed the fuel enrichment to enable enrichment after 1s (the default is much longer); also changed the enrichment "enable" thresholds so enrichment was triggered by low vacuum (high manifold pressure) instead of throttle position, so as to make it respond more like a carburetor (think "power valve"). Contact me directly if you want to know more, but doing this is as easy as it looks (with Jet's product, anyway).

I changed the fuel gauge update rate by doubling it (I think OEM rate is 60Hz, but whatever) to take the "shake" out of the fuel gauge... a common occurrence on that era truck.

I disabled the EGR. Try it yourself and see if you like it. YMMV.

I changed the up / down shift points and TCC lockup to my liking, and enabled upshifts during TCC lockup.

I disabled the AC compressor above 3000RPM, the idea being that, above 3000RPM (given my gears and driving style) I'm almost certainly accelerating and can live without the AC for a time.

These are the things that come to mind.
can you enable highway lean? and when you disable the egr, is this engine light disable or, disable egr from engaging? thanks

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have access to my tuner program right now, it's installed on another computer, so I can't definitively answer your question about "highway lean" being configurable. I can tell you that, if that "highway lean" is supported on my (otherwise OEM) ECU firmware, I haven't changed it.

When I disabled EGR, I did so by changing the ECU's "EGR enable" threshold(s), e.g., engine temperature, or throttle position, etc. In my particular case, going from memory, I think I configured the "engine coolant temp for EGR enable" threshold to something like 300F, thus effectively disabling EGR. The ECU seemed completely happy with my change and I've been running it that way for years.

Jet's Dynamic Spectrum Tuner can of course disable VATS.

Jet's tuner also provides a handy means of adjusting for different gear ratios / tire sizes, i.e., upon the user's direction it will scale most / all(?) the internal ECU tables which are based on MPH (such as shift points, as well as others) appropriately to accommodate the change in effective drive ratio (road MPH / driveshaft RPM) imposed by different gears / tires.

Last edited:

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't have access to my tuner program right now, it's installed on another computer, so I can't definitively answer your question about "highway lean" being configurable. I can tell you that, if that "highway lean" is supported on my (otherwise OEM) ECU firmware, I haven't changed it.

When I disabled EGR, I did so by changing the ECU's "EGR enable" threshold(s), e.g., engine temperature, or throttle position, etc. In my particular case, going from memory, I think I configured the "engine coolant temp for EGR enable" threshold to something like 300F, thus effectively disabling EGR. The ECU seemed completely happy with my change and I've been running it that way for years.

Jet's Dynamic Spectrum Tuner can of course disable VATS.

Jet's tuner also provides a handy means of adjusting for different gear ratios / tire sizes, i.e., upon the user's direction it will scale most / all(?) the internal ECU tables which are based on MPH (such as shift points, as well as others) appropriately to accommodate the change in effective drive ratio (road MPH / driveshaft RPM) imposed by different gears / tires.
After disabling Vats and other stuff do you have any lights staying on? Security, engine management?
Also on Jet's-I found it on amazon and some of the reviews say it's gotta a job to work on windows newer than 7-what system have you got it installed on?

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After disabling Vats and other stuff do you have any lights staying on? Security, engine management?
Also on Jet's-I found it on amazon and some of the reviews say it's gotta a job to work on windows newer than 7-what system have you got it installed on?

On my 1998 Suburban, after disabling VATS using Jet's DST I have no "odd" lights. All is good.

I've run Jet's DST on WinXP and Win7, haven't tried it on Win10.

Most of my "tuning" stuff I run on WinXP (TunerCat, Moates, Jet, others), except for DIACOM which I run on Win95.