Tuning vortec to run on as little sensors as possible

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are plenty of SBC EFI manifolds out there if you look in the right places. I feel like I am hoarding manifolds now. I have a couple full TPI setups, stock base, edelbrock base, vortec base, stock runners, ASM and SLP runners. Then have an Indmar marine intake like the ones sold by Street & Performance that I have two uppers for. One that uses a TPI throttle body and a 2nd that uses a 90mm LS. Then I bought a Proflow knock off and a Holley single plane. I traded off the Mercruiser dual plane to a buddy. Also had a guy message me on FB and he is sending me another new 24X reluctor he was going to throw in the scrap. I am going to pull the regular marine manifold off the van. Just cannot decide if I want to put the Indmar manifold or the Holley on it.

You must be registered for see images attach

I see you have a FITech TB on there. What's your thoughts on the FITech TB injection systems? I've heard bad and good. I figure some of the bad is from sloppy installations and mismatched components.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can delete the rear 02 sensors and remove the cats and you replace the cats with better flow through cats you will increase your mileage and your power. Rear 02's can be deleted from the ecu and your computer won't even know they are gone. Your engine will run better and no codes.
Modern hi-flow cats aren't restricting or hurting anything on a normal daily driven vehicle. If you are regularly beating on it hard, the cat protection stuff will hurt you on max performance in order to keep you from burning them out, but if its just a normal driver you aren't making anything better by deleting everything.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool,didn't know that. I like it even better now.
How well do they actually perform?
They perform well, But you have to make sure you make good solid electrical connections if not it'll be a nightmare, every one of them I've seen that wasnt wired right had issues

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They perform well, But you have to make sure you make good solid electrical connections if not it'll be a nightmare, every one of them I've seen that wasnt wired right had issues
Yeah,that applies to to anything electrical. A Weller D550,a roll of 60/40 flux core and adhesive lined heat shrink tubing are my best friends.

rose359

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If MAF is more accurate than MAP for fuel/air anyway, then is MAP technically necessary? Also would there be any cons to tuning out the cam and crank sensors, since those weren’t listed as an absolutely necessary sensor to make the car run?

I understand these are dumb questions but I’m trying to learn more about tuning and efi systems
Have you considered carburetion? So many three letter acronyms (TLAs); ECM, PCM, TBI, EFI, MAP, MAF, TPS, IAC, IAT, CTS; which ones have I forgotten? That is good for tuning with a laptop and a code reader; I prefer wrenches. And, I really don't care to have a computer shifting my transmission

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So many three letter acronyms (TLAs); ECM, PCM, TBI, EFI, MAP, MAF, TPS, IAC, IAT, CTS; which ones have I forgotten?
Not all TLAs but, here's more...

BTW, are you familiar with Rockwell Automation PLC programming? They use nothing but TLAs.

I'd still rather use my laptop over screwdrivers and wrenches :33: