Best way to prep and paint rusty frame.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcm9364

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I don’t know about up north but two years after using por15 on my frame here in Texas it’s still good. Very pleased. Just scrubbed with scotchbrite and cleaned with wax and grease remover. Sprayed por15 (terrible process, probably got cancer instantly) and it looks great. Hard as a rock.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I don’t know about up north but two years after using por15 on my frame here in Texas it’s still good. Very pleased. Just scrubbed with scotchbrite and cleaned with wax and grease remover. Sprayed por15 (terrible process, probably got cancer instantly) and it looks great. Hard as a rock.

From what I've read you don't want to be spraying that stuff with out pro-level equipment... fresh air system and booth. It contains something like isocyanates that cause nervous system damage.

I brushed it on my floor, and it peeled. It was old though. I finally took the can to a county hazardous waste collection just the other day.

Edit: It looks good, but how did you not get overspray on the cars next to the truck, or even on the ground?

35olds

Reaction score
So I want to rehabilitate my frame. I have been using one of those abrasive disks that go on y0ur drill and it has been working good. I will attach a picture of the side I have done and the side that hasn't been done.

My question is what product should I use once it's all clean to paint and protect it. I live in ontario so it will be subject to tons of salt and snow and I dont want the frame to rust away. Also yes I am aware my parking brake is cut, I have to replace it before I drive the truck.

I'll tell you what I've done , twice , sand blast frame . Use Rustoleum Rusty metal primer . Cover with Rustoluem Black , gloss or semi gloss , One was a corvette and one was a street rod . They never saw bad weather once done but , on the corvette , before adding a puke tank to radiator , the overflow hose from the radiator drained out onto the front cross member . It took the black off but did not touch the primer . It still looked like the day I brushed it on . That's the truth .

rcm9364

Reaction score
From what I've read you don't want to be spraying that stuff with out pro-level equipment... fresh air system and booth. It contains something like isocyanates that cause nervous system damage.

I brushed it on my floor, and it peeled. It was old though. I finally took the can to a county hazardous waste collection just the other day.

It looks good, but how did you not get overspray on the cars next to the truck, or even on the ground?
Moved the car to spray. The others are parts cars. And there is still some on the ground but now it just looks like nicer asphalt. Lol. But yeah, if you’re gonna spray it get good equipment. Respirator etc. And it’s a b**** to spray. Very thick. Splattered our of the gun but then laid out evenly. Gun was ruined though. And I wore some on my hands for over a week.
Edit: In cleaning the frame I used several cans of break cleaner along with a scraper and the scotchbrite to get off what was left of the factory rubbery bed protectant.