Best riding shocks ????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I replaced my Suburban's stock shocks a couple years ago with KYB gas-a-just and it seems like it rides rougher now than it did initially. Any bump feels like it's going to shake the truck apart. Maybe replacing the bushings on the control arms would help too, but I'm definitely going to get Bilstein 4600's next time and lower my torsion bars a little when I get new tires.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So will Bilstein 4600s work for a truck that's cranked up an inch? I plan on doing shocks sometime in the next couple of weeks and after hearing a bunch of indecent things about Ranchos I'm pretty dead set on something Bilstein;
And is there any difference between truck and Suburban shocks? Ebay has truck shocks listed at $300 for 4; but only $270 for Suburban shocks; I don't see any difference between my truck and my brother's Suburban in shock mounts, maybe I need to look closer though.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
And is there any difference between truck and Suburban shocks?

Yup. Not sure what the difference is exactly but the Suburbans have a different part number for the rears. Also keep in mind that the part numbers will change depending on which frame you're buying them for... 1500, 2500 or 3500.

So will Bilstein 4600s work for a truck that's cranked up an inch?

Yup. My Suburban is still cranked up an inch or so higher than factory ride height in the front and the 4600s do just fine.

Rocky454SS

Reaction score
They are probably set up a little different due to the weight difference. I'm not sure either.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 217,000 mile stock shocks came right out. It seems like GM used quality bolts for them. Shouldn't be a big deal.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The shock bolts on my red truck (which has spent most of it's life parked indoors) came right out. The ones on my Suburban however had to be cut out and replaced. Both had about 120K on the odometer at the time if I remember correctly. It's kind of a crap shoot.

Reaction score
straightforward swap out. rusty/frozen shock mount bolts being the most difficult part. Only thing to really look out for is getting dirt & rust in your eyes while laying under the truck to do the rears...I usually leave the shipping compression strap on them.loosly bolt the bottom of the shock on, line up the top and cut the strap.it will expand right into the top mounts.done and done.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The shock bolts on my red truck (which has spent most of it's life parked indoors) came right out. The ones on my Suburban however had to be cut out and replaced. Both had about 120K on the odometer at the time if I remember correctly. It's kind of a crap shoot.

I think I may have replaced the rear upper bolts, as they didn't look stock to me last time I had them out. All the larger bolts are original. I keep wire wheeling them and applying anti-seize. I may have replaced one of the nuts up front. It wasn't locking very well anymore.

toomanyhobbies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So will Bilstein 4600s work for a truck that's cranked up an inch? I plan on doing shocks sometime in the next couple of weeks and after hearing a bunch of indecent things about Ranchos I'm pretty dead set on something Bilstein;
And is there any difference between truck and Suburban shocks? Ebay has truck shocks listed at $300 for 4; but only $270 for Suburban shocks; I don't see any difference between my truck and my brother's Suburban in shock mounts, maybe I need to look closer though.

I have 4600's on my '98 2 door tahoe with 1" lift and they are great. As mentioned above Bilstein will give you a part # for 5100's if you ask them even though 4600 appears to be the only application for these trucks.

I have the 5100's on my 2004 Tahoe also with a 1" lift and it's the best riding vehicle in our family including my wife's 2015 suburban and our 4 matic Mercedes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So, here is my update. Bilstines may be the best shocks, but man are they expensive. I had Gabriels on my truck. Autozone bought, so life time warrant. The first ones I tried were the ultras. Keep in mind I have had my 97, since 2002. After 50000 miles I swapped them for some of the cheepes Gabriels . So 50000 miles later, and after doing my researce on shocks, I found that mono tube shocks are what Bilstines are. So I got some Gabriel max control. These are single piston mono tube shocks. This is what Bilstines are. Ok so its a knock off, but going from a dual piston shock to a mono tube, the ride has improved a lot. My truck rides a lot smother. The whole truck does not rattle and feel like you just hit a huge pot hole with every bump any more. Its a huge improvement over the dual piston shocks I had before. Next best thing was, with the life time warranty I have, these shocks did not cost me anything.