Best pliers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
here's the last set of pliers I bought. I'm cheap as well but these were bought on sale. I'm a cabinet maker so having a couple really good pairs of pliers is a must, especially if I was thrown into doing some damn plumbing, I usually refuse as I'm not a plumber and well I dont want the liability. but anyways these are the best locking pliers I'v ever used. where it says irwin is a button that you press to move the jaws up and down, not like the ordinary "channel locks". they cant slide or pop out of the gear. I've had them for a few years and never met a sink it couldnt change.

You must be registered for see images attach

now in terms of brand names most of my tools at home would be consider antique. I have so many, "garage sale" tools with an awesome patina. all the old stuff was built ver well but I enjoy Channel locks myself. look at this little itty bitty cute lil mini channel lock, this is the smallest one I have and I also have one with a 10" jaw in the tool chest.
Cool! I have one of those too. Dad was a great believer in having the right tools for the job, so since he could get them through the parts store, he had a lot of tools that I've unofficially inherited. Channel Lock makes a pair of pliers that are kind of a 90 degree angle version of duck bills except for the serrated jaws). Have to get a picture of them next time I have them out. But they're good for factory spring clamps that you can reach. Otherwise you have to use the cable operated hose clamp pliers. My cousin gave me those when I changed the Burb's water pump and couldn't get all the bypass hoses off. Works quite well once you get acquainted with its operations.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The original channel-locks. And the original irwin vise grip. Any other brands are just copies. As with any tool though, you have to get the rite tool for the job.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
here's the last set of pliers I bought. I'm cheap as well but these were bought on sale. I'm a cabinet maker so having a couple really good pairs of pliers is a must, especially if I was thrown into doing some damn plumbing, I usually refuse as I'm not a plumber and well I dont want the liability. but anyways these are the best locking pliers I'v ever used. where it says irwin is a button that you press to move the jaws up and down, not like the ordinary "channel locks". they cant slide or pop out of the gear. I've had them for a few years and never met a sink it couldnt change.
I've got a whole drawer full of pliers, can't remember why I bought a set of those Irwins, but I have yet to find a purpose for them. :/ Similarly, those stupid Craftsman "Robo Grip" pliers I have discovered to be more or less useless.

My go-to's for decades now for most purposes have been a couple different sizes of good old genuine Channel locks, and ordinary regular Craftsman pliers that came in a tool set my grandfather gave me when I was a pre-teen kid working on bicycles. They weren't hand-me-downs, they were new at the time, with that black textured rubbery grip stuff on the handles that is still in perfect condition decades later. A few different sizes of regular Vise Grips have been handy too, including a set probably older than I am. Gotta buy the real stuff for it to last.

The original channel-locks. And the original irwin vise grip. Any other brands are just copies.
Pretty much exactly what I was saying but with probably too many words. :D

Richard

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
HOLY ****! Knipex pliers are expensive. So if you can write them off on your taxes, BUY them! cuz they should be the best pliers at $80 a piece!

these tools are for pros, buy em, write em off, use them. if you can't write them off they will surely pay for themselves very quickly.

Al

More like $30 to $60 each, depending on what you are looking at. If you are looking for a 2 piece or 3 piece, then yes, around $90+.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I'm in Canada, those are amazon prices. I did not look anywhere else because I'm not looking to purchase them anyways. I was just a lil shell shocked, i dont know why, I shouldn't be suprised. all good tools are expensive, I just try to buy them on sale, hopefully like 75% off kinda sale, all of my good tools have been purchased like that.

Last edited: