Best pliers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
My current favorites are Hagerty RL-1 Snap Ring Pliers, but I'm building a 700R4, so I'm biased. http://www.wkhagertymfgco.com/RL1.htm/

I got a set of these at a garage sale.
Antique Proto 'Convertible' snap ring pliers.
Each one can be used for opening or closing.
Squeeze 'em & they open. Twist the dial & one jaw drops down, swings back up and around to the other side of the second. Squeeze & they close.
$20.00.

You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I got a set of these at a garage sale.
Antique Proto 'Convertible' snap ring pliers.
Each one can be used for opening or closing.
Squeeze 'em & they open. Twist the dial & one jaw drops down, swings back up and around to the other side of the second. Squeeze & they close.
$20.00.

Isn't Proto a lower brand made by one of the professional tool companies?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Proto? No, not really. They are more tailored towards the industrial (drillers, oil and gas, etc.) segment, similar to Wright Tools. Proto and Mac I believe share the same parent company. Mac is sold though tool trucks, right?

I've got some Proto tools and they are top notch....but I don't own any Snap-on, so it's not like I can compare it to that stuff. I'm just a DIYer.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have been using proto for years. Its good tools. There cressent wrenches are some of the best in the tool world. Another fantastic tool brand is Kline. Kline has a huge line of electricans tools. Very good stuff. Both are rite there with snap on, matco, and mac tools.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another fantastic tool brand is Kline. Kline has a huge line of electricans tools
Yeah, I've had Klein tools for years, including slip-joint pliers and a spud wrench - never an issue with them. But, they are fairly expensive. You can get Ideal electrician's tools cheaper even at Lowe's.

LTC_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My Knipex wire cutters are over 30 years old and still work great. Cut anything from 24 guages wire to #8 screws with them. I like Klein also, but Knipex are superior IMO.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Proto? No, not really. They are more tailored towards the industrial (drillers, oil and gas, etc.) segment, similar to Wright Tools. Proto and Mac I believe share the same parent company. Mac is sold though tool trucks, right?

I've got some Proto tools and they are top notch....but I don't own any Snap-on, so it's not like I can compare it to that stuff. I'm just a DIYer.

I guess I worded my post poorly, or misunderstood myself. At the end of the day, Mac and Proto are in bed to an extent. I knew they had some sort of affiliation with one of the good auto tool companies.