Best pliers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Isn't Proto a lower brand made by one of the professional tool companies?
Proto used to make a cheaper line, called "Challenger" that was sold in auto parts stores. We carried it in ours, as well as a few Proto items that they didn't do in Challenger. Good tools, American made, on a par with the American made Craftsman stuff. Have and use both.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
I bought these at Home Depot about 7 years ago. It's a auto-adjusting so that definitely comes in handy when you only have one hand free.

I haven't seen anything like this since then. I think they got sued for copy right infringement, as I vaguely remember seeing something like this from a major competitor(snap-off, MATho)?
You must be registered for see images attach

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
here's the last set of pliers I bought. I'm cheap as well but these were bought on sale. I'm a cabinet maker so having a couple really good pairs of pliers is a must, especially if I was thrown into doing some damn plumbing, I usually refuse as I'm not a plumber and well I dont want the liability. but anyways these are the best locking pliers I'v ever used. where it says irwin is a button that you press to move the jaws up and down, not like the ordinary "channel locks". they cant slide or pop out of the gear. I've had them for a few years and never met a sink it couldnt change.

now in terms of brand names most of my tools at home would be consider antique. I have so many, "garage sale" tools with an awesome patina. all the old stuff was built ver well but I enjoy Channel locks myself. look at this little itty bitty cute lil mini channel lock, this is the smallest one I have and I also have one with a 10" jaw in the tool chest.
Knipex makes a similar pair that is even better. I have a small pair of those in your picture but I will soon be upgrading to Knipex

Talking about GMT400s using Tapatalk

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This Proro is the best adjustable wrench I've ever used.
I only paid $30 for it and it is stronger than the $45 Bahco. The Bahco does have reversible jaws that work as a pipe wrench as pictured below.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I bought these at Home Depot about 7 years ago. It's a auto-adjusting so that definitely comes in handy when you only have one hand free.

I haven't seen anything like this since then. I think they got sued for copy right infringement, as I vaguely remember seeing something like this from a major competitor(snap-off, MATho)?

HaHa! There's a pair of those on the kitchen counter here right now. Exactly the same. Husky.
Used it to remove the ends of all the taps in the kitchen & bathrooms, replacing the little cartridge filters.
Probably the first time in years, if ever, that they've been changed. Taps were running s-l-o-w.
Every one of the housings were tapered.
...& really screwed in tight. They weren't coming out by hand.
Sis's house. Her tools.
Only tool in the box that could grab those tap ends.
Kinda cool. Open jaws, squeeze & they ratchet up, self-adjust & square the jaws up to the right size. One hand.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I remember my Grandfather had one of those.
That is my main pipe wrench for working on gas piping as I am a heating and air technician. If I was doing any serious pipe and I'd get a real pipe wrench but since I mainly do small repairs and gas valve replacements that's all I usually need.