Best Cam for Vortex 350 with TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

livelifewideopen

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Just a little research Im trying to do and Im looking for opinions. Im putting a 350 vortec motor with a carb intake and a TBI adapter in my 1991 k1500 (not the truck in the profile pic). Truck Currently has an nv3500 5 speed, 241C transfer case, 10 bolt rear with 3.73 gears. I plan on lifting the truck and tossing on some 35s (after I do a 14 bolt rear swap, maybe a SAS in front too). Since I have to buy a chip anyways, how aggressive should I go with the cam to make it so I can still drive it on the road? Not gonna be a daily but I would still wanna drive it around. Also the truck will be used ALOT offroad. Thanks in advance!

Heath Andrews

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Just a little research Im trying to do and Im looking for opinions. Im putting a 350 vortec motor with a carb intake and a TBI adapter in my 1991 k1500 (not the truck in the profile pic). Truck Currently has an nv3500 5 speed, 241C transfer case, 10 bolt rear with 3.73 gears. I plan on lifting the truck and tossing on some 35s (after I do a 14 bolt rear swap, maybe a SAS in front too). Since I have to buy a chip anyways, how aggressive should I go with the cam to make it so I can still drive it on the road? Not gonna be a daily but I would still wanna drive it around. Also the truck will be used ALOT offroad. Thanks in advance!
Wolverine 180/190 is what I used on the 350 I dropped in my s10. Granted I raced it more than anything, but it worked decently as a daily driver and some of the off roading

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
if your not tuning it the max id go is css105r/mtc1/lt1 or k1102 cam. anything more than that id look into some serious tuning. tuning would also greatly help those cams out.

livelifewideopen

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
if your not tuning it the max id go is css105r/mtc1/lt1 or k1102 cam. anything more than that id look into some serious tuning. tuning would also greatly help those cams out.

Would I need to upgrade lifters, valve springs etc. to run those cams? Im sorry this may be a rookie question but so far I only have experience re-assembling stock set-ups

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The mtc1/k1102 are flat tapped cams, LT1 is a roller. I'm not familiar with the 105r. From my understanding he is using a 96 up vortec long block which means that he needs a roller cam as well as tuning either way. You can "crutch" the stock cam but bumping the timing and fuel pressure but it still leaves a lot on the table.

livelifewideopen

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The mtc1/k1102 are flat tapped cams, LT1 is a roller. I'm not familiar with the 105r. From my understanding he is using a 96 up vortec long block which means that he needs a roller cam as well as tuning either way. You can "crutch" the stock cam but bumping the timing and fuel pressure but it still leaves a lot on the table.
So would the lt1 cam be a good option? I know I need to tune it, probably install an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and definitely need a to upgrade the fuel pump. Like I said in a comment previously I really dont know much about performance cams because all my motor experience has been with stock applications.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
I don't think an LT1 cam is a good choice for a heavy 4wd truck.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
did great in all my applications, 1650 brazed converter and lt1 cam with a decent intake and heavy head port work.

even my 450hptbi motor stayed close to 0* timing. youll have to check knock counts to tell where it runs best and such. when replacing a flat tappet cam you always change lifters with roller if they check out good they can be reused.

your using a vortec block or tbi?

vortec heads or tbi heads?

id stick with a roller cam if you can. bump your fuel pressure. adjustable shouldnt be necesarrry and do the common mods, ultimate tbi. stock fuel pump should support it otherwise go to a tpi pump.