Are there any old style mirrors with power control?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm going to add power mirrors to my 94 Sierra soon, for now I have manual versions of the 95+ mirrors, and while I like them, they're much smaller than my older "dumbo" mirrors and I'd like to go back. Now from the factory, none of the dumbo mirrors were power operated, but I was wondering if anyone has made them aftermarket? I'd like to keep the truck as original looking as possible. Thanks for any help!

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The glass would have to be separate from the housing and they're not made that way. It would have to be a full custom job with the guts of a different type of mirror I'd imagine.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I thought @88GMCtruck had a pair of aftermarket "powered" version of the dumbo mirrors quite a few years ago, but they were a chromed plastic. They are long gone now, unfortunately. Though this would be sweet if they still made powered versions of these mirrors. IIRC, Dodge did that on their 94-97 Ram's, maybe there is a way to modify them to fit these trucks? They look fairly similar.

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought @88GMCtruck had a pair of aftermarket "powered" version of the dumbo mirrors quite a few years ago, but they were a chromed plastic. They are long gone now, unfortunately. Though this would be sweet if they still made powered versions of these mirrors. IIRC, Dodge did that on their 94-97 Ram's, maybe there is a way to modify them to fit these trucks? They look fairly similar.
I've seen those Dodge mirrors, I'll look into it, I've got a buddy with a 99 Ram Sport that has an extra pair of mirrors laying around, maybe they'll fit...

68corvair

Reaction score
I would also be interested in a set of the powered dumbo mirrors. My 94 gmc pickup had manual dumbos and I liked them better then the power mirrors on my suburban. I have searched the net and found only one set of the power dumbos for sale, old add long gone. I think they were Good Wrench maybe? I dont want to give up the power option but have been tempted to try a set of black dumbos on the suburban to see how they look.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I would also be interested in a set of the powered dumbo mirrors. My 94 gmc pickup had manual dumbos and I liked them better then the power mirrors on my suburban. I have searched the net and found only one set of the power dumbos for sale, old add long gone. I think they were Good Wrench maybe? I dont want to give up the power option but have been tempted to try a set of black dumbos on the suburban to see how they look.
Most of the Burbs and Tahoes down here (Houston, TX area) have the power "Dumbo" mirrors. So there's usually some in the yards. The problem is finding them with good housings, because people tend to run them into drive thrus and so forth. The housings are plastic and can be refinished though, or painted body color instead of black. I personally like them black, because they blend in better with dark tinted glass like we have down here.

68corvair

Reaction score
Interesting, I dont think I have ever seen a set before around here, Eastern PA. The manuals on my 94 gmc look like stainless? I also think the black would blend in better with the trim and dark upper paint on my suburban.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Interesting, I dont think I have ever seen a set before around here, Eastern PA. The manuals on my 94 gmc look like stainless? I also think the black would blend in better with the trim and dark upper paint on my suburban.
The manual mirrors have stainless steel housings on the heads. The older style of this mirror that was used on the square body truck, and mounts to the door below the window, has an all stainless version (head and cover for door mount) and a white painted version on the lower trim levels. The mounts on these have a curvature to match the door (fun fact, this curvature is very similar to the door shape on the Advance Design trucks from '48-'54).

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the Burbs and Tahoes down here (Houston, TX area) have the power "Dumbo" mirrors. So there's usually some in the yards. The problem is finding them with good housings, because people tend to run them into drive thrus and so forth. The housings are plastic and can be refinished though, or painted body color instead of black. I personally like them black, because they blend in better with dark tinted glass like we have down here.
I'd like to see a picture of these next time you come across some. Don't recall ever seeing them.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I think there's some confusion here because to me, the "dumbo ears" are the old-school stainless mirrors that are always manual. However, some folks refer to the black plastic folding mirrors as "dumbos" too because they're so large. From 1992-up, typically the SUV's got power versions of the black plastic folding mirrors, whereas pickups generally got manual versions of same, until around 1995-up when it became more common to see pickups decked out with more power options including the mirrors.

I've never seen the stainless mirrors offered in power. I don't think they exist. I'll be happy to see evidence otherwise, not saying it's impossible, just never seen them myself.

Richard