Anyone used shock extenders with ONLY 2” shackle drop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick_R_23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like the title says - has anyone used shock extenders with ONLY a 2” rear shackle drop?

Not necessarily for the suspension side of things, although it would offer a slightly better shock angle. My worry is that my new dual exhaust kit is closer to the shock on the drivers side than I care to run. The shock extender would definitely get me more clearance, I just don’t want to create more issues.

Anyone?

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The problem with doing this is that you will shear off the lower shock mounts. They will crack and break over time. Then a trip to the welder, gussets, and braces, to strengthen them.

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put a set of load levelers on one of my trucks and the resistance broke the mounts off. First one and then the other. No binding.

Nick_R_23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you talking about the coilover/springover style shocks? Those I could absolutely see causing that issue.

Nick_R_23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ah, I’m not working with those. I just have stock shocks that I want moved further away from the axle for better clearance.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
No need to run the lower extenders on a 2/4 drop. Shocks do not have a sweet spot, i.e. in the middle of the stroke, for them to work properly. As long as they aren't bottoming or topping out in their travel, they will work as they should.
A 2" drop does not require a 2" shorter shock.
A 2" drop alters the shock angles very little.
A 2" drop with extenders will maybe/probably require a 2" longer shock.
Pix of the shock/exhaust clearance would help, but I don't think the lower extenders would help you much, as they push the lower shock mount away from the diff in order to correct the somewhat more laid out position that they are at now.
Without pix, I'd say that the extenders would actually put the shock closer to the exhaust.
There is a fix that may work for you, though.
BellTech makes an upper shock mount relocation kit. Usually used with 4" or more drop.
Part #6658. A little better than $100.00.
A bolt-in part.
The relocators move the top of the shocks closer to the diff housing so that they are in a more upright position, at the angle that they were designed to work at.
The kit does not require a different shock length. It merely repositions the upper mount.
Lower extenders are used mainly with 6" drops because they allow for a 4" shorter shock to be used. A 6" shorter shock wouldn't supply enough stroke to be useful on a truck.
The upper kit can be hard to find. B/T makes a run of them only every so often & they sell out pretty quick.
...and for some reason, most secondary sellers price them below the price directly from B/T.

Most descriptions on-line of the upper extenders is wrong. It's the same description, word-for-word, for the lower extenders! A screw-up by B/T?
Anyways, don't go by the written description. Check the pic & order by the part number.

You must be registered for see images attach

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I put a set of load levelers on one of my trucks and the resistance broke the mounts off. First one and then the other. No binding.
That's because those shocks are kinda-sorta designed to help support a load, whereas the mounts are not.
It's a band-aid design. A short-cut.
Springs carry the load.
Shocks control the spring's motion.
Shocks are not meant to be used as a load carrier.
The mounts broke because they were not meant to be used in such a manner, either.
I've seen load-carrying shocks & air shocks punch through the top mount & then right through the bed floor.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The mounts broke because they were not meant to be used in such a manner, either.
I've seen load-carrying shocks & air shocks punch through the top mount & then right through the bed floor.
Every single time somebody does this.

Shock mounts are not designed to carry additional loads.