Anyone interested in an 8.1/ Allison?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What issues are coming up for the 7.3? I thought they were supposed to be pretty good.
So far some of the same exact stuff that has plagued our 6.8 V10's. Coils go bad, and the connectors to them go bad. Random valvetrain ticks that are a bit disturbing considering the history of prior engines (6.8, 6.2) eating valvetrains without a ton of miles on them.

We currently have 8 of these F450SD gas trucks ranging from 2016 to 2021 models; let me see if I can get the breakdown correct. 1-6.2, 3-6.8, 4-7.3. Yeah, they get the hell run out of them, but it's not like we're towing gooseneck loads with them or anything. They're wreckers; they haul 1 vehicle at a time, and lots of unloaded miles in between. We're not wreck chasing so none of that matted-pedal-to-the-scene nonsense you see in some places.

Fords sell so well because they're far cheaper than a Dodge of the same specs. Not that the Dodges have stellar reputations, either. If GM still had a truck in this class we'd look at them, but they don't. You've surely heard me grouse about it for years now but the last comparable truck they had was the 2002 GMT400-based 3500HD. They've got that new medium duty thing but it's far too tall/large for the work we do. It'd never make it into any of the parking garage contracts we have.

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
So far some of the same exact stuff that has plagued our 6.8 V10's. Coils go bad, and the connectors to them go bad. Random valvetrain ticks that are a bit disturbing considering the history of prior engines (6.8, 6.2) eating valvetrains without a ton of miles on them.

When I've trolled a Ford forum for info when looking at Ford trucks for possible purchase , I usually read good things about the 6.2L, too.... however, I think they're usually more casual in they're usage.

They've got that new medium duty thing but it's far too tall/large for the work we do. It'd never make it into any of the parking garage contracts we have.

I saw one of those a few weeks ago. It stood out to me because I'm not sure I had ever actually seen one before, in person. They must have very low sales numbers. I don't usually see the Dodge 4500 or whatever it's called either.

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya....

Edit:
Nope!

The most interesting thing about this is that Banks' system achieved greater gains from the L29 when it was still available. They got an extra 85 pounds of torque and 70 HP just by adding their exhaust system.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
When I've trolled a Ford forum for info when looking at Ford trucks for possible purchase , I usually read good things about the 6.2L, too.... however, I think they're usually more casual in they're usage.

I saw one of those a few weeks ago. It stood out to me because I'm not sure I had ever actually seen one before, in person. They must have very low sales numbers. I don't usually see the Dodge 4500 or whatever it's called either.
The GM CV is huge. I mean it's literally a medium duty chassis, not a light duty with medium duty specs like the old 3500HD was. It's based on the light duty truck cab but that's it. Flip front end, medium duty chassis, etc. it's like a modern Kodiak/Topkick.

You must be registered for see images attach

Down here there's a number of companies running the Dodge 4500's as wreckers, primarily because they were former Ford buyers that had lots of trouble with the 6.7 PSD. They're paying a premium now for the Dodge with the 6.7 Cummins. Neither Ford nor Dodge have a good reputation on the gas engines, mostly for valvetrain issues. Then you get guys like a buddy of mine that put his gas Dodge in the shop twice for major engine work and is now junking the truck over electrical issues they can't seem to resolve. He's replaced the truck with a Dodge diesel and is looking for another bare diesel chassis to swap the gas trucks' wrecker unit onto.

Sorry for the sidetrack.. I think several of us are waiting for more details on the 8.1 :D

Richard

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The GM CV is huge. I mean it's literally a medium duty chassis, not a light duty with medium duty specs like the old 3500HD was. It's based on the light duty truck cab but that's it. Flip front end, medium duty chassis, etc. it's like a modern Kodiak/Topkick.

You must be registered for see images attach

Down here there's a number of companies running the Dodge 4500's as wreckers, primarily because they were former Ford buyers that had lots of trouble with the 6.7 PSD. They're paying a premium now for the Dodge with the 6.7 Cummins. Neither Ford nor Dodge have a good reputation on the gas engines, mostly for valvetrain issues. Then you get guys like a buddy of mine that put his gas Dodge in the shop twice for major engine work and is now junking the truck over electrical issues they can't seem to resolve. He's replaced the truck with a Dodge diesel and is looking for another bare diesel chassis to swap the gas trucks' wrecker unit onto.

Sorry for the sidetrack.. I think several of us are waiting for more details on the 8.1 :D

Richard
Richard, any word on the 10 speed transmissions? Everyone was/has been raving about them, but I've since seen some folks having issues with them on the Ford forums. And have seen teardowns on units needing overhaul.

Sadly, both Ford and now some GMs are using these transmissions, so bashing Ford won't work for the GM fans, LOL.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Richard, any word on the 10 speed transmissions? Everyone was/has been raving about them, but I've since seen some folks having issues with them on the Ford forums. And have seen teardowns on units needing overhaul.

Sadly, both Ford and now some GMs are using these transmissions, so bashing Ford won't work for the GM fans, LOL.
The 2020 model I drive has the 10 speed and has 100K miles now; a little while back it developed a slip code that put it in the shop. We don't often get clear communication back from the mechanic, but apparently it was something with the TCC and he fixed it without a lot of issue. I will say that since then it seems it hasn't been quite right, not really slipping, but kind of jerky. I don't have a huge degree of confidence in it. We have another 2020 with the 10 speed that is 200K now and I don't *think* it has had any transmission issues but I may be forgetting any since I don't drive that truck.

Previous 2018 I was driving has the 6 speed and was going bad already when I got in that truck at.. 80K? It would SLAM the 5-6 shift at part throttle, I mean full force break stuff slam. I learned to manually limit it to 5th while driving around town and only allow it to go to 6th while under moderate throttle on the freeway. It lived just past 100K before it croaked.

Richard

BBslider001

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most of the guys on the Ford forums are having good luck with the 7.3, but like always, it's new so it'll have issues the first couple of years just like the 6.7 diesel, 6.6 Dmax, etc...