Anybody see this before??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
That’s what I did when I bent my shock mount and my tubes.
You must be registered for see images attach

Oh wow! did you have something similar happen to bend that?

I'll check the axle tubes over tonight when I get home to see where it twisted, Im assuming it broke the spot welds holding the diff to the tube. When it clocked it threw the driveshaft out so it twisted on the opposite side as the pictures.

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh wow! did you have something similar happen to bend that?

I'll check the axle tubes over tonight when I get home to see where it twisted, Im assuming it broke the spot welds holding the diff to the tube. When it clocked it threw the driveshaft out so it twisted on the opposite side as the pictures.
I skidded into a ditch when my brakes grabbed on one side. My diff snagged a 36 inch concrete culvert. I’d check your driveshaft too. It should be fine but it’s not hard to look at. Any vibrations when driving?

Mr Eric

Reaction score
LOL you guys!

Nobody caught the tire chains yet... it's slightly modified for one specific purpose.

This pic is how it sits with about 2 tons of bricks in the bed (yes around 4000lbs!), do you see in the pics earlier how close those bump stops are to the axle.

'Merica!!!!

If you are using that truck just around the property, and plowing the neighbors driveway, run it until it won't move underneath its own power.
Go ahead and source a replacement rear end and driveline for when it dies.

'Merica, God bless our freedom!!

Keep up the long term field endurance test.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd say its toast....one side moved and the other didn't.

Yep, agreed. I mean, I suppose you could cut that one axle tube and reweld it at the correct position, but what's the point? The other axle tube will likely fail next. Or you'll blow your ring/spider gear. Or your axle shaft(s) will snap. Your 10 bolt is way overloaded.

Swap that 14 bolt if it's just laying around. You already have the BEEFY leaf springs. Your U bolts and clamps are already shot and need to be replaced anyway. Might as well get some new ones for the 14 bolt (they are different.) Get a U joint conversion and shorten/reweld the driveshaft yourself. If you are just going 3 mph, it doesn't matter that the spliced DS is not perfectly balanced. Let 'er rip.

Mr Eric

Reaction score
Yep, agreed. I mean, I suppose you could cut that one axle tube and reweld it at the correct position, but what's the point? The other axle tube will likely fail next. Or you'll blow your ring/spider gear. Or your axle shaft(s) will snap. Your 10 bolt is way overloaded.

Swap that 14 bolt if it's just laying around. You already have the BEEFY leaf springs. Your U bolts and clamps are already shot and need to be replaced anyway. Might as well get some new ones for the 14 bolt (they are different.) Get a U joint conversion and shorten/reweld the driveshaft yourself. If you are just going 3 mph, it doesn't matter that the spliced DS is not perfectly balanced. Let 'er rip.

At the speed and amount this truck is getting used, anything done will be OK.

Either run it to failure, repair or replacement with any combination of parts.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Replace those leaf spring center bolts when the other diff goes in, too.
Those deader than dead u-bolts & plates have been letting the axle tube shift around a bit(!) before it actually let go.
That head on that center bolt looks a little rounded off.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Thanks! Yea I will replace all the hardware and good idea about the center bolts too!!

I looked under it again last night and it looks like the opposite side tube broke the weld to the diff casing causing the whole differential to rotate up causing the driveshaft to spin loose.

Its not leaking at all and I am considering just getting it straight again and welding the efff out of it and run it.

Switching to the 14b FF would be a lot of extra work and $$$ to regear the front diff to 4.10, buy and weld new spring perches in the correct spots, and get a couple 8-bolt rims to run on the back, etc.

IDK, I'll try straightening it and welding it and see how I feel after thats done.

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
'Merica!!!!

If you are using that truck just around the property, and plowing the neighbors driveway, run it until it won't move underneath its own power.
Go ahead and source a replacement rear end and driveline for when it dies.

'Merica, God bless our freedom!!

Keep up the long term field endurance test.
TBH it could use some flagpole mounts.

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks! Yea I will replace all the hardware and good idea about the center bolts too!!

I looked under it again last night and it looks like the opposite side tube broke the weld to the diff casing causing the whole differential to rotate up causing the driveshaft to spin loose.

Its not leaking at all and I am considering just getting it straight again and welding the efff out of it and run it.

Switching to the 14b FF would be a lot of extra work and $$$ to regear the front diff to 4.10, buy and weld new spring perches in the correct spots, and get a couple 8-bolt rims to run on the back, etc.

IDK, I'll try straightening it and welding it and see how I feel after thats done.
S E N D I T.

Worst case what? It does the same thing again and you gotta go buy a new axle anyway.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Ah! So the "good" axle tube is the one that failed? LOL

Here's what the typical welds look like. This is a different axle from a 2015 truck. I was recently watching a video on YT and the guy mentioned he had seen axles failing at these welds, under extreme powered trucks. So he proceeded to weld all-around the tubes, lol.

His axle was out of the truck though, so easy to rotate so you are welding downward. On the truck installed it would actually be a difficult weld. It's a circular weld and becomes overhead. Similar to what pipefitters are used to doing.

I'd like to see your failed weld...

Last edited: