Anybody see this before??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think the correct name is "plug weld," at least per the American Welding Society (AWS) nomenclature.

I don't know what the auto industry calls it.

IIRC, they are very strong.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I looked under it again last night and it looks like the opposite side tube broke the weld to the diff casing causing the whole differential to rotate up causing the driveshaft to spin loose.

That's kinda what I was thinking happened, when I made my earlier statement about one side moving and the other didn't. GM/AAM uses a process called slug welding. (I think they were called slugs, not plugs?) The center section has a couple of holes in it, and a slug is inserted and the whole thing is made really hot, such that the slug attaches to both pieces. The oil seal is actually a Loctite product.....thick goopy clear-ish red stuff. My experience would have been early 2000's.

I haven't seen many axles, from other years up close, so maybe at one time they were fully mig welded?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
hey thanks guys I had no idea this was even a thing. I haven't worked on an axle yet but I like to read whatever I can to gain some knowledge.
The hard part is getting the pinion depth rite, and dealing with the crush sleeve. Thats why I used a crush sleeve eliminator kit. Other than that, they are not hard to work on.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
When rolling the axle back in place I noticed one of the leafs looked misplaced and upon further investigation it snapped that center bolt also. So I'll take the axle off to weld it and I'll replace those center bolts like shurkey recommended already

You must be registered for see images attach

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
at this point welder up and send it. It's just a plow truck, that will see tons of abuse.