Any Advantage to a Suburban over a Tahoe/Yukon???...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
When thy were newer, in my family we called the Tahoe and Yukon "less truck for more bucks" because they were usually more expensive than a comparable Burb. My preference is the Burb, but I've had like 7 or 8 of em so I know what the platform is capable of.
On the other hand, if your vehicle usage involves very many small parking lots or parking garages, the smaller SUV would be a better fit (pun intended!). Careful driving of the larger trucks can be insightful as to where you can go and where you shouldn't. This came in helpful on our recent trip, going places we knew the Burb would barely fit; okay the CCLB ain't going there.....
Also as noted the rear doors and windows are unique to the Tahoe and Yukon. That cutout at the base of the door, keeps the glass from going all the way down. You're also riding closer to the rear axle so the ride is rougher. And the notch makes it a little more difficult to get in and out, if you're over a certain size, have big feet, or any mobility issues.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tahoe is easier to park, more maneuverable, has less body roll, is lighter, has better acceleration and gets better fuel mileage all things being equal. The Tahoe came with rear ac but without rear heat, never noticed any loss of comfort not having it. My 99 2wd Tahoe had 3.42 gears. My brothers 99 2wd Suburban had 3.42s and the 97 Express did as well. The Suburban matched the Express in fuel mileage getting 2-3 mpg less overall than the Tahoe but had a 42-gallon tank compared to 30 on the Tahoe. The Tahoe's 22-23 mpg highway would slightly out-range the Express's 19-20 mpg with its 31-gallon tank, but the Suburban could go through multiple states without having to gas up. We had some tanks go more then 800 miles on the Suburban. At 19-22 MPG highway in a Tahoe, one would need to stop to stretch the legs and answer natures callings before fuel capacity became an issue on long trips. On the plus side of the Suburban, it is definitely smoother riding and surer footed when you have 5,000 lbs hanging on the hitch. The Suburban is also nicer to take on a camping trip. Throw a mattress in the back and you are good to go where the Tahoe is a bit short for a 6' tall guy.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Careful driving of the larger trucks can be insightful as to where you can go and where you shouldn't. This came in helpful on our recent trip, going places we knew the Burb would barely fit;
In my opinion if you have to park in dinky spaces regularly, that's the only reason to get a Tahoe over a Suburban. I'm a "smaller is better" guy when it comes to vehicles, but a Suburban is so much more useful than a Tahoe. I camped in the back of my '99 Suburban. If I remember right, I fit 4x8 sheets of plywood in the back of my Suburban and closed the rear doors. We fit eight people in the Suburban on several occasions - one truck at 12 mpg is more efficient than two cars at 20 mpg. You just have to think ahead in narrow spaces.

Tahoe ... has better acceleration and gets better fuel mileage all things being equal.
Also in my opinion, if you're worried about performance, why not buy a RCSB? My truck has to have some hustle, but so long as it's not a turtle, I don't care. My stock Suburban had adequate performance for my needs.

Suburban is the winner, all day long. A Tahoe is for rhinestone cowboys.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
In my opinion if you have to park in dinky spaces regularly, that's the only reason to get a Tahoe over a Suburban. I'm a "smaller is better" guy when it comes to vehicles, but a Suburban is so much more useful than a Tahoe. I camped in the back of my '99 Suburban. If I remember right, I fit 4x8 sheets of plywood in the back of my Suburban and closed the rear doors. We fit eight people in the Suburban on several occasions - one truck at 12 mpg is more efficient than two cars at 20 mpg. You just have to think ahead in narrow spaces.

Also in my opinion, if you're worried about performance, why not buy a RCSB? My truck has to have some hustle, but so long as it's not a turtle, I don't care. My stock Suburban had adequate performance for my needs.

Suburban is the winner, all day long. A Tahoe is for rhinestone cowboys.
Yes a Burb has a full 4x8 space in the back if the second row is folded down (and third row is out). Many times on all our Burbs, we've used every bit of that space, on swap meet trips. Can't sell it if you don't bring it....

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
I've never found myself wishing my K2500 'burb was smaller. Even in KC. There is more 2nd row leg room in a GMT400 Suburban than a GMT800/GMT900 Suburban/Yukon XL.

I've hauled 4x8 sheets of material in the back. Loaded it up with the wife, the kids, the dog, and all the luggage, plus a bumper for a squarbody pickup and headed 542 miles one way comfortably. If you can't have a pickup and an SUV, the Suburban is the ultimate utility vehicle, GM knocked it out of the park when they made the station wagon bigger.

With that said, I wouldn't mind having a 2-door Yukon as a fun DD, but I wouldn't trade my Suburban to do it.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The same advantage a RCSB has over an ECLB? - can carry more passengers and more cargo.

All I know is my Suburban (never even seen a Tahoe in the flesh) but the space gives so much flexibility.
I know not many would contemplate doing this (though it was done before I got it and haven't felt the need to change it) mine has a 120 litre (32USG) propane tank behind the rearmost seat (wouldn't yours too if it held fuel less than half the price of gasoline?). OK, it eats into cargo space there but there's usually still enough and when there isn't I lay the middle seats down. See photos below. Even with 10 of those drums in the middle I could have still had 4 passengers with me (front and rearmost seat).
If I absolutely need the full floor I could (temporarily) remove the propane tank and run on gasoline.
A Suburban in one word: flexible.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

C2164

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have towed with both a Suburban and a Tahoe. The Suburban seemed to tow a lot better and i always chalked that up to the longer wheelbase or wheelbase to track ratio being more stable and less prone to sway (on the other hand the Suburban has more overhang, so who knows why?). Don't overlook the 2500 Suburbans, although they tend to be pricey they are very solid and will probably retain their value better than the 1500. MPG penalty though.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've never found myself wishing my K2500 'burb was smaller. Even in KC. There is more 2nd row leg room in a GMT400 Suburban than a GMT800/GMT900 Suburban/Yukon XL.

I've hauled 4x8 sheets of material in the back. Loaded it up with the wife, the kids, the dog, and all the luggage, plus a bumper for a squarbody pickup and headed 542 miles one way comfortably. If you can't have a pickup and an SUV, the Suburban is the ultimate utility vehicle, GM knocked it out of the park when they made the station wagon bigger.

With that said, I wouldn't mind having a 2-door Yukon as a fun DD, but I wouldn't trade my Suburban to do it.

If a suburban is good an Express/Savanna van is even better. Suburban is selling yourself short.