AN power steering hoses and cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Moved on to another short project outside of the van this morning before I went into work at 1 PM. Routed and built the AN lines and installed the 24" derale frame mounted cooler in the power steering return hose. I used a gates fitting for the return hose at the pump and 3/8" gates transmission cooler hose for the return hose.

You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also as a bonus I was given an Optima 31 case size dual purpose marine battery that was allegidly bad. It was a customers core battery at work. I threw one of my dead core batteries I pulled out of a truck I parted out in trade for the core value. Tossed my computerized charger set for the AGM setting on it overnight. Battery held a load test flawlessly. Fits in the stock tray and with top post to side post adapters the stock battery cables fit with a little creativity. Just need to figure out a top style hold down for it. The dual purpose 31 series deep cycle has a much higher reserve capacity than the 78 series. Hard to beat a good Optima for free.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What are Gates AN hoses? Are the hoses specifically for AN fittings? Are the hoses braided?
The Gates hose and fitting are only the return lines off the gear box and hydroboost. The AN line is on the pressure side. Sorry for the confusion. The Gates fitting is merely a metric GM power steering fitting that goes into the return port and has a short steel 90 with a hose barb flare on the end to eliminate the factory style crimped junk.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Awesome.... good solid connections/lines of any kind are always worth the effort. Fantastic on the battery too. I was able to bring a mower battery back to life that should have been completely dead..... sat unused for several years in an unheated garage in the woods. I didn't have a smart charger, but left it for about 2 days at 2 amps, and it holds a charge. I do have a smart charger/maintainer that I put on it now.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the plastic-block clamps to secure the hose. I think you need at least one more, looks like the two hoses are rubbing together between the existing clamps, up from the steering gear. I'm a little concerned about bend-radius of the hose as it goes around the steering gear and on to the PS reservoir. And I see tyraps on the hoses in other places; they shouldn't be used because hoses shouldn't be allowed to rub against each other.

For the record, despite Summit and others harping on "AN", the AN standard is decades obsolete and no longer in use. Virtually all so-called "AN" fittings sold today are in fact equivalent to the also-obsolete "JIC" standard.

"AN" was short for "Army/Navy". It was genuine aerospace grade stuff, hugely expensive and tightly quality-inspected. NOBODY puts aerospace-grade plumbing on a street-driven car. By comparison, the old "JIC" (Joint Industries Council) standard was intended from the beginning for ground-based vehicles--cars, trucks, buses--and looks similar to AN, but with less-rigorous standards and reduced QA. It was "industrial grade" not "aerospace grade". The sealing taper is the same as AN (37 degrees) and the thread pitch (but not the thread form!) is the same, too. The quality is NOT the same. You could put AN on a bus, but you wouldn't be allowed to put JIC on a fighter plane, even though the fittings would screw together just fine.

When Summit and Jegs and all the rest pretend to sell you "AN" aerospace plumbing, they're really selling the equivalent of the old "JIC" industrial-grade fittings. It's basically a scam, they're delibrately misleading people. And most folks still biitch about the price of the industrial-grade stuff.

For "AN", the new standard is MIL-F-5509; for"JIC", the new standards are part of the SAE and ISO systems--SAE J514/ISO-8434-2.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"AN" was short for "Army/Navy". It was genuine aerospace grade stuff, hugely expensive and tightly quality-inspected. NOBODY puts aerospace-grade plumbing on a street-driven car. By comparison, the old "JIC" (Joint Industries Council) standard was intended from the beginning for ground-based vehicles--cars, trucks, buses--and looks similar to AN, but with less-rigorous standards and reduced QA. It was "industrial grade" not "aerospace grade". The sealing taper is the same as AN (37 degrees) and the thread pitch (but not the thread form!) is the same, too. The quality is NOT the same. You could put AN on a bus, but you wouldn't be allowed to put JIC on a fighter plane, even though the fittings would screw together just fine.
Most of the good brand "AN" fittings are the same stuff as the aerospace-grade plumbing sold to the military and civilian airlines. It just doesn't come with a Certificate of Conformance guaranteeing the production process. Also, "hugely expensive" still means made by the lowest bidder.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the good brand "AN" fittings are the same stuff as the aerospace-grade plumbing ...
Read what Parker has to say about that.

Aside from "conformance", the thread FORM (not thread pitch) tends to be substantially different between Aerospace and Industrial.

Threads:

• AN 37° Flare: Male and female, Class 3A/3B UNJ/UNJF (radiused root threads)
  • SAE/ISO 37° Flare: Male and female, class 2A/2B, UN/UNF series threads
  • Reason: Tighter tolerances and better fatigue life for aircraft, aerospace, military applications

Military Conformance Standards:

• AN 37° Flare: AN flare fittings conform to MIL-F-5509 specifications, and also AS4841
  • SAE/ISO 37° Flare: Some fittings conform to MIL-F-18866 as shown on MS51500 through MS51534

Industrial Conformance Standards:

• AN 37° Flare: Meets SAE Aerospace (AS) standards
  • SAE/ISO 37° Flare: Meet the applicable dimensional and performance requirements of SAE J514/ISO 8434-2

Materials:

• AN 37° Flare: Available commonly in carbon steel, stainless steel (CRES), aluminum, titanium and copper-nickel
  • SAE/ISO 37° Flare: Available commonly in carbon steel, stainless steel, and brass

General:
  • In addition to the above noted differences, drop lengths, hex sizes, hex widths may also vary between "comparable" AN 37° flare and industrial 37° flare fittings in some sizes.

Interchangeability​

AN 37° flare and industrial 37° flare fittings function identically. In many cases they appear to be functionally interchangeable, but they are not. What this means is that while the products may look similar, you must not use an industrial 37° flare fitting design as a direct substitution.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't doubt that the bottom feeders are lower quality, but Parker's making the case for spending more on their brand. There are several other manufacturers that make aerospace fittings. They all can, and do, sell the same fittings at a much lower price without certificates of conformance. My point was more that you're not paying for actual quality, but the traceability of the documentation to prove the parts are quality. Every time there's an aircraft accident investigation, they track all the parts back to the manufacturers. You're paying for more thorough documentation, and you're paying for their liability if their parts fail. That said, NEVER install parts on an aircraft without a CoC.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Routed the BP engineering GMT800 fan harness and fitted the radiator today. Tested the fan harness and it works the way it was intended. The harness uses ground triggered relays that will be controlled by the PCM. On low speed with the motors in series for 6 volts it pulls a decent amount of air and virtually silent. Bump up to high speed with the fans in parallel and it moves some air. The fans are 16" Flexalite 3,000 cfm units and the radiator has a 34x19" core. I mounted the relays to the firewall behind where the oil fill tubes and dipsticks sit. The new AN power steering lines and the PS cooler clear everything with plenty of room to spare.