Power steering cooler delete?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Greetings from south texas i am new to the forum!!!I recently purchased an 88 silverado 5.7 single cab project that has peen parked for 25 years!!!!powersteering pump went out recently so i ordered a cardone steering pump and both pressure and return lines...i found out it has a powersteering cooler near the radiator with 2 hoses,how can i delete this?any help is greatly appreciated

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're in South Texas. Rumor has it that it gets hot there, sometimes. WHY would you want to delete the PS cooler?

I deleted the leaking PS "cooler" (a metal tube wound back-and-forth inside the left frame rail behind the bumper) but I live in the Seasonally-Frozen Wastelands, and the truck was purchased to plow snow.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just to add, my 95 K2500, xtd sb, 5.7, 7200. Has cooler line looped in frame rail. I swapped it to a finned one mounted out in front from an HD, treasure yard find. Calif, hot summers 100° plus afternoon commute stopped in traffic or creeping along 10, 20, 30 mph, everything is blistering hot.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
'88 GMC K1500 4.3: fin cooler.
'88 Chevy K2500LD 5.0: fin cooler.
'89 Chevy K1500 5.7: fin cooler.
'95 Chevy C2500 5.7: tube in frame cooler.
'98 Chevy Suburban 5.7: fin cooler
'00 Yukon Denali 5.7: fin cooler

Of all the 400 trucks I've had up here in New Yuck, none have been without a cooler. My thought is: theres a reason it was included on our trucks. Don't eliminate it, replace or upgrade it.

ericg75

Reaction score
Okay, two questions. Did I get the lines back in the right places and why does this pump have a third pipe on it? Is that a vent of some sort? It's a little hard to see but the high pressure line is closest to the rad (if it were installed).
You must be registered for see images attach

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As @454cid noted, that extra fitting is the return line for the hydroboost system. I expect the pump is suitable regardless, but I've not actually confirmed that the non-HB and HB pumps have the same flow / pressure characteristics. I hope somebody else will comment.

I took a picture of mine, in this case of a 1998 L31.

My HP line is different in that it's routed close to the frame.

If you study these and compare to yours, I trust you'll see the difference. The pump isn't visible, the HP hose is, forming a high arch between the pump and the gear.

My low pressure hose, unlike yours, is routed from the gear to an OE tube-and-fin cooler mounted adjacent to the radiator. You can also see the return hose coming from the cooler headed to the pump.

Last edited:

ericg75

Reaction score
Thanks, i should have paid attention before getting the pulley installed and mounting it. I sourced the correct pump. Do I have the lines correct now?

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do I have the lines correct now?

Your lines look serviceable, certainly.

You might consider re-positioning your HP line so the hardline lies nearer the frame. It appears it would do so if it was "clocked" about 60-degrees counter-clockwise from it's current position where the fittings meet at the gear. This could be done by loosening / removing the fitting at the gear and re-orienting the line. That's my $0.02. You certainly don't need to do so, but it might be cleaner (meaning "out of your way") if you did.