Alignment issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abrasumente

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I did front end work exclusively for 10 years, 35 years as a professional mechanic. If it were me, I would pull the pitman arm back off and check the position. If I read you post right the wheel was off a little after the first alignment and a lot after the second and they tried to center it with the tie rods and ran out of room. It sounds to me like when they moved your pitman arm they put it on wrong. It can go on in four positions.

Make sure your center link is level side to side. I'm talking about an obvious angle not a minute bit. If they put the arm back on upside down (not sure it's possible) then there would be a big angle to the center link. Take the pitman arm off the box. Get the linkage down enough the arm won't catch on the spines. Mark the shaft so you can see if the position changes. Gently turn the steering all the way to one side. Don't bounce the steering off the box stop harshly, do it gently and let it stop when it stops. Now turn the steering wheel back the other direction counting the rotations. again, don't man handle it just be gentle (not delicate just gentle :)). Once you have the turns counted divide by two and turn the steering wheel back that many turns. Your box should be centered or close enough for right now. Check your mark on the pitman shaft and see if it's in a different position. if so you'll have to reassemble and have it aligned again.

The steering off the 5 degree's was an easy fix they would have likely taken care of in just a couple of minutes if you would have asked. I've done 1,000s of alignments and it happens, I just catch them before I release the vehicle to the customer (most times). The alignment can be set to spec and still have the wheel off. You just have one side toed in and the other toed out with total tow being correct. They center when driving and cause the wheel to be off set.

If the pitman shaft ends up in the same spot then there is another issue. You can screw up the rag joint shaft alignment but you would have to make a deliberate effort. Most times this type of issue is a steering gear that been in a wreck and twisted the shaft. No way to give good advise on the internet on this from me, I'd have to see it.

You cannot take the steering wheel off to center it, it is master splined. The correct way to center the wheel is through the tie rods. move one in, one out.It has to be done with care if you move one more than the other you'll jack up the total toe.

I hope that helps in some way.

This is the kind of detail I was looking for. I will try what you’ve suggested when I have an opportunity to work on the truck again next weekend, and I’ll update with what I discover. Thanks a bunch!!

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To check for a bent sector shaft, similar procedure as Knuckle posted. Lock to lock, center the box and make sure the pitman arm and idler are parallel to the frame. No tight spots through it's rotation. You can usually see it in the last 1/8 or so of splines past where the pitman arm seats with the arm off. It takes a close eye. They get bent but in a lot of years I've only seen a handful.

I hate to think these guys were so clueless that they took the pitman off turned it a quarter and have the tie rods hanging on by a couple threads on one side.

Never go back there.

Last edited:

aball

Reaction score
The correct way to center the wheel is through the tie rods. move one in, one out.It has to be done with care if you move one more than the other you'll jack up the total toe.
I just started replacing steering components on my '96 Tahoe and saw that the tie rods on both sides are a bit unequal in length, maybe half an inch at most. Would this be ok? Steering wheel is perfectly straight.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
I just started replacing steering components on my '96 Tahoe and saw that the tie rods on both sides are a bit unequal in length, maybe half an inch at most. Would this be ok? Steering wheel is perfectly straight.

It wouldn't raise and concern for me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wjauto1777