Air Conditioning on Big Block ‘93 Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrew7

Reaction score
I’m looking for info on replacing/upgrading the a/c on my big block ‘93 Silverado Dually.
Any advice is appreciated on where to buy, what to get.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Reaction score
1993 was a transition year for which refrigerant was used. I have heard that both r12 and r134 systems were used in 1993. I do not recall the source of this information but it could have originated from General Motors trying to use up the remaining r12 system components which is just the kind of penny-pinching economics GM has utilized over the last50-60 years.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
1993 was a transition year for which refrigerant was used. I have heard that both r12 and r134 systems were used in 1993. I do not recall the source of this information but it could have originated from General Motors trying to use up the remaining r12 system components which is just the kind of penny-pinching economics GM has utilized over the last50-60 years.
Not saying you're wrong as neither of us have certainly seen *all* examples of 1993 GMT400 trucks, but I've never seen a 1993 with R134a. All 1994 models were R134a, though. Every 1993 I've seen/owned/worked on/heard of were all R12.

Original post is old (2021) but the info lives on.

I'll be having to deal with this sooner than later, as my 1993 has a broken electrical connection to the compressor clutch and the entire system is an unknown as I bought the truck this way. Hate to spend $100 on a new clutch just to find out the compressor might be bad, but I also don't want to spend more on a new compressor if I just needed to replace the clutch. I'm about ready to pull the clutch and see if I can hack solder some wires in there to get around the connector break, and see what the condition of the rest of the system is before I do anything that would require opening it up.

Richard