99 Whipplecharged Big Block Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wildblue19

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys. Picked up a new toy, 99 Suburban 2500 2WD, 454 with a whipple charger. From California, it is a clean truck only at 130K. I am completely in the dark on these blowers, but the price was right.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

My intent for this thread is;

1) Ask for info on the supercharger kit, I have no manuals or info from the owner. Anyone who has details or experience with these chime in! I read some threads on builds but didn't find alot of details online. Rarity, how to maintain it, where it came from... Any input is needed before I start tinkering with it.

2) Outline the build process and ask for advice along the way. Unlike my daily, this gets to be a fun custom truck. I will update with the vision for the truck, probably a cool street truck for towing trailers to the track. Thinking 5/7 static drop on wheels if budget allows. TIA!

WB

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I guess I meant in terms of the build process are you trying to make more power or just optimize what you have? I'd do an oil change on the blower for sure, it calls for 5W50 synthetic or you can get the smurf **** from Jon Bond Performance, that stuff is extra sticky. Aside from that they just sorta do their thing. If you have a stock PCM and Whippletronics, which you likely do being a CA truck, then you could look at a bigger spider injector setup and 411 swap to ditch the piggyback crap. Or leave it alone and enjoy it as is.

Wildblue19

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess I meant in terms of the build process are you trying to make more power or just optimize what you have?

Plan is to keep it pretty mild hardware wise, we aren't trying to take it apart and port everything out and make a race motor. It seems to run well, but I think we are going to go Holley controlled motor and trans with the whole system for the tuning side and ditch the aging stock PCM stuff.

Wildblue19

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update on the blower, a failing tensioner caused the belt to leave the building and I'm down an upper fan shroud in the aftermath. GM part number is 15739592, but I can't find one anywhere online for sale. Anyone have leads or know what vehicles this came on to start looking?

Wildblue19

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any gas truck with a 19" tall radiator will have what you need. So basically any gas 8 lugger ought to do.
Thanks. I'll look in the yards.

I have a question about the operation and purpose of the whipple "Boost a Pump" fuel pump module. I got the manual for this kit from whipple, and in the manual they show a voltage boosting module installed on the frame rail. The module increases fuel pressure from 55 or so (stock) to 65-75 and 85-90PSI based on engine RPM. There is also a solenoid on the return line.

My initial thought was that the voltage booster is there to increase the fuel pressure to the injectors, which is needed to exceed their factory flow ratings at stock fuel pressures, enabling the injectors to keep up with the added air from the blower. However, it seems that the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail remains untouched in this system so I'm not sure how the increased pressure from the higher voltage will actually reach the injectors. Perhaps the solenoid on the return valve plays a part in this, but I need some help understanding how this "boost a pump" system really works.