A/C R12 to R134 sucess story.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
Well at least so far.....

When I bought my 90 short bed I knew the compressor had the high pressure switch broken. The guy said the AC worked. Well you can run the compressor without the switch. I did and the compressor seized. I never checked but assumed it was an 134 system but was in fact R12. Found a kit at Advance auto to convert to R134 and got a deal on it through my work place. IIRC it was $192. It included compressor, drier, orifice, o-rings and oil.

I changed all the parts, flushed the lines condenser and evaporator with lacquer thinner followed by an approved AC flush. I have a vacuum pump but it is intended as a medical device used to suck up fluids. It will only pull a max of 20 inches but for this 17 was the most. I got it to use for some composite work when building my RC airplanes! Anyway... I let it evacuate the system for a couple hours, let it set and watched the gauges for leaks and the vacuum held steady. I pressurized the system and let it set. I may have accidentally on purpose loosened the wrong fitting and lost the charge in the system....... So back to the pump for another hour. This just helped make sure all the air was out of the system.

When filling an R12 system with R134 the rule of thumb is 75% to 80% of the R12 capacity. Another site said R12 times .9 then subtract 1/4 pound. My original system capacity was 2.5 pounds so 2 pounds is the calculated capacity. I only had 24 ounces on hand so put that in. I couldn't find my thermometer to measure the actual air temp but it's cold enough to give you a headache!

I intend to have our mechanic at work put our machine on it and pull a proper vacuum and then play with the charge a bit to optimize it. You have to have enough refrigerant in the system to carry the oil around to lube the compressor. R134 is not as tolerant of over or undercharge as R12 is so it may take a little experimentation to find the opitmum charge.

This all turned out better than I hoped. Time will tell if it stays this way.

Ken

EDIT: I back flushed the condenser so as not to push any debris from the compressor further into the condenser. I filter the discharge and found nothing in the flush fluid so am very confident of a clean system.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The primary purpose of vacuuming the system is to purge moisture. Leak testing under vacuum is a nice bonus, but the real purpose is to remove water.

17" of vacuum will remove moisture, but only if the system is about 170 degrees F.

You must be registered for see images attach

Without the heat, 17" of vacuum is a waste of time.

A REAL vacuum pump gets so close to 30" as to make no difference. Even a piece-of-crap venturi vacuum generator is claimed to get to 28"; good for about 100 degrees.

https://smile.amazon.com/Goplus-Pne...rds=Venturi+vacuum+pump&qid=1591538175&sr=8-3

kenh

Reaction score
Yes I know 17 is not enough, but that is what i had. I also purged the charge in the system to at least remove the "air" from the system. I will have our certified mech at work pull a propper vacuum first chance he gets to do so. In any case it is better to have some (freon) pressure in the system than nothing at all. At least that is my opinion.

Ken

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it works, and doesn't leak out again, leave it alone. Apparently there was not enough moisture in the system to cause a problem.

If it leaks out again, or there's some other issue with the system, consider the vacuum 'n' recharge after fixing whatever failed.

kenh

Reaction score
A quick update on my AC system repair.

I calculated I needed about 30 ounces or R134 to replace the R12 of the old system. I had low suction and highside pressure. Also quite a bit of frosting downstream of the orifice. Evaporator temp measured via pressure was also low. I added 4 more ounces of R134 and while the pressures are still a bit on the low side the system is working well. I'm now about 3 ounces over what should be the calculated maximum the system should hold.

It even cools pretty good at an idle. Today our high temp was about 92F. Within 10???? minutes the cab temp was cold enough I was turning the temp up so as not to freeze to death . hahahaha

I'm happy!

Ken

kenh

Reaction score
I don't know If I ever mentioned . This was a Factory Air kit I purchased from Advance Auto. New compressor, dryer/accumulator, o-rings and oil. My cost with my work discount was $192. I don't remember the retail price. You get about a 30 extra o-rings so don't be alarmed if you have some left over. I only replaced those rings where the system had been opened up.

Ken

kenh

Reaction score
An update on my A/C rebuild.

All is still working well. I still need to play with the final charge amount as I'm still getting some frosting/freeze up at the evaporator. That is one symptom of low charge and I had that last summer though not as bad when it was 90 out. Haven't put my gauges on it to check pressure though. I'm still happy with what I've done and would do it again.

Ken