Acquiring Arteb Brazil GMT400 headlight reflectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Says Wednesday, but I doubt it.... not if it's in Miami, Tuesday. It would have to be in state already for me to get it that quick.

Oddly, I once had a shipment from Brazil dropped at my door at 8pm in the evening(!). USPS tracking can be optimistic but don’t rule out a crazy-late delivery.

Anyway, another guy’s package will be delivered today. I figured yours for delivery Thu, if not Fri, so at least “this week”… and finally, FINALLY(!!!) we’re seeing deliveries :)

I think I’m more excited about this than anyone else. There was a time when I thought I would have 12 pairs of headlights (and 2 pairs of taillights) stranded / orphaned in Brazil, and that was not a happy thought. It was back in Feb when the initial Stage 1 shipments were all returned…

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda kicking myself for not getting in on this! If/when a next round, I’m probably in.

There will be a "next round", Carlos and I are trying to figure out a more manageable and sustainable process.

FYI, Carlos aka @carlos_lightsbyarteb is on GMT400, he's just lurking for the moment... ;)

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM Brazil - Arteb: Fun fact

One of the Arteb lights I acquired in 2019 actually bears a GM Brazil sticker and part number (pictured).

If I'm reading the numbers correctly, the date code is Nov6, 2014.

This particular reflector was bought used via MercadoLivre (something I'll never do again). It was in a box but dusty as hell, like it been sitting on a shelf for a long time. The lens was (is) UNscratched, clear, with no bugs or road rash. As I was cleaning it up I determined that it had a water leak in the upper corners, and from that I inferred that it must have been pulled from service early in its life and stuck on a shelf. I assume someone was finally clearing house and they put it up for sale (knowing, or not knowing, that it leaked).

This is one reflector of a spare pair that I keep. I'll fix the water leak sometime soon and put it back on the shelf.

It looks a little bare because I removed all the supporting brackets and adjustment mechanism.

Attachments

• Original GM Brazil reflector mfg Arteb.jpg
    Original GM Brazil reflector mfg Arteb.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A message to new Arteb owners: Observations

Here are a few observations which have come up in conversation with others, worth mentioning to new Arteb owners

Retaining clips (missing or present): I and others have noticed that the reflectors sometimes come with these metal clips attached, and sometimes they don't (pictured). Other mfgrs, e.g., TYC, use similar clips. After some discussion we came to the conclusion that the clips are likely used during assembly but, after the adhesives have cured, aren't a necessity.

Adjusters: Some, not all, of the headlights acquired since late 2021 need lubrication of the adjuster mechanism. Insufficient lubrication causes the screw to spin (it should remain stationary) as the adjusting nut is turned (pictured). I suggest the use of a "dry" lubricant on the adjusters in all cases, to help maintain their function. Too, the adjuster should turn easily and excessive force will possibly damage / strip the plastic bevel gear. If the adjusters don't seem to function properly and the solution isn't obvious, take the matter up with me personally or others on GMT400. (edit) See a later and more complete post on this topic here https://www.gmt400.com/threads/arteb-brazil-gmt400-headlight-users-thread.56596/post-1234731

Attachments

• Reflector with clip.jpg
    Reflector with clip.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 24
  • Reflector without clip.jpg
    Reflector without clip.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Adjuster - cover in place.jpg
    Adjuster - cover in place.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Bevel gear nut on screw - exposed.jpg
    Bevel gear nut on screw - exposed.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Dry lubricant.jpg
    Dry lubricant.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
GM Brazil - Arteb: Fun fact

One of the Arteb lights I acquired in 2019 actually bears a GM Brazil sticker and part number (pictured).

If I'm reading the numbers correctly, the date code is Nov6, 2014.

This particular reflector was bought used via MercadoLivre (something I'll never do again). It was in a box but dusty as hell, like it been sitting on a shelf for a long time. The lens was (is) UNscratched, clear, with no bugs or road rash. As I was cleaning it up I determined that it had a water leak in the upper corners, and from that I inferred that it must have been pulled from service early in its life and stuck on a shelf. I assume someone was finally clearing house and they put it up for sale (knowing, or not knowing, that it leaked).

This is one reflector of a spare pair that I keep. I'll fix the water leak sometime soon and put it back on the shelf.

It looks a little bare because I removed all the supporting brackets and adjustment mechanism.
The number on it is 93255734 correct? It's weird that it is not in my system. Probably because I am logged into our GMNA system today. I guess I could try our GMSA system, lol

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exchange Rate: Something to consider

The exchange rate has been dropping rapidly in the last two weeks and today's rate is 4.66:1, down over 1.7% from yesterday and down significantly from January's ~5.5:1. See the graph on Google (use this link).

This is going to weigh on this effort heavily. Another "12 pair" purchase is probably not happening in the immediate future.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arteb Quality Control: Room for improvement

At this point there have been three deliveries made. I've spoken with each recipient personally and some Arteb QC issues have surfaced.

I'll go on the defensive and say that we tried to avoid QC issues by purchasing the product directly from a jobber and not, e.g., from Brazil's MercadoLivre (think "eBay" ... I felt it could be a dumping ground for discards).

Here's what's been noted:

(1) The adjusters need lubrication. I referenced this prior (in this thread) and it seems to be recurring theme in discussions with others. I'll talk about this more in the Arteb Users Thread https://www.gmt400.com/threads/arteb-brazil-gmt400-headlight-users-thread.56596/post-1234731

(2) The adjusters may be mis-assembled. One recipient told me that the T-15 fitting that drives the adjuster was mis-installed, it was actually assembled upside-down. This is an easy fix (one need only remove two screws to disassemble and re-orient the fitting) but... come'on Arteb, WTF? See first two attached pictures to illustrate the parts involved below; see also https://www.gmt400.com/threads/arteb-brazil-gmt400-headlight-users-thread.56596/post-1234706

(3) Loose screws: There are three Phillips screws that attach the reflector to the adjustment mechanism (see the third - fifth attached pictures). These screws can on occasion be, well, "loose", not completely tightened. I can't root-cause the problem, but this is the symptom. With some finesse, these screws can be tightened / snugged, but they're not easily accessible.

So be advised. This is easy stuff to correct but the end-user shouldn't be the last step in the QC program.

Attachments

• Adjuster - lead screw retracted - annotated.jpg
    Adjuster - lead screw retracted - annotated.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Adjuster - T-15 head.jpg
    Adjuster - T-15 head.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5580.jpg
    IMG_5580.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5586.jpg
    IMG_5586.jpg