Acquiring Arteb Brazil GMT400 headlight reflectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stage 1 re-born: Update Tues Mar15 11am Central / 1pm São Paulo

I wish I had more to say other than "This shipment is still enroute to São Paulo", but I don't. It was shipped almost one week ago. I checked tracking just now, and it's still trudging along...

I downloaded this picture from the shipper's site of the package in transit.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Topic: International shipping and our problems this March

I'm frustrated and I feel like venting about the problems we've had with shipping. Those who are following along with Stage 1 may find this interesting... or not. Regardless, it makes me feel better :)

Around Mar3 we had headlights in transit to the US and their packages made it to São Paulo, where they underwent some sort of inspection before leaving the country. During inspection the many packages were somehow deemed "commercial" in nature and were returned to the sender. We noted upon return that none had not actually been opened for inspection. Hmm, read on...

What I haven't mentioned before is that each package had an Air Waybill - "AWB" - a single sheet, filled-out at the time of shipment, which shows the sender, recipient, category of item ("Gifts"), Tariff Number (which is indicative of the contents, "Electrical filament lamps"), declared value, weight, etc. AWBs are typical, and I emailed copies to each recipient when their package shipped. AWBs contain identifying information so I've never posted one in this thread.

Evidently, during inspection it was concluded that the Air Waybills didn't jibe and the shipper said: "Foul, these packages are commercial. Your waybills are incorrect. We're sending everything back to you. Have a nice day."

In the process, the shipping charges were all deemed non-refundable.

We've contested their determination and it's been on-going. Yesterday they responded with this (this is a Google translation from Portuguese so it reads a little oddly):

Reply: Dear Customer, We inform you that it is the responsibility of the sender to make sure of the correct documentation for shipment, as well as the laws and rules in force in Brazil and in the country to which the shipment is intended. We clarify that Individuals cannot trade, it is necessary to be a PJ (MEI has to issue an Invoice when it comes to export). Legal Entity when exporting must issue NF, Commercial Invoice and the AWB must state that it is a sale. In view of the fact that the order was returned due to a failure in the documentation, there is no provision for reimbursement of the postal prices paid. We appreciate your contact. Regards, Postal Customer Service Center

BUT... what we really want to know is "Why were the packages deemed commercial?" because we need this information for future shipments. The shipper has only explained the requirement for correct documentation for a commercial shipment.

So here we are today. We've re-opened the matter with the shipper but we're not sure we'll get our answer ("Why deemed commercial?"). If we're refunded some of the charges that would be nice too, but I've already written them off as a learning experience.

We've since (re)shipped, sending only one package to minimize risk (see my recent posts), and we're waiting for it to clear customs before we ship the next.

(edit) I've attached an Air Waybill form for reference

Attachments

• FormularioAWb_05-2016.pdf
    190 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a form letter boiler plate to me, not an actual response.
Yup, that's why we keep pestering them.

I see they've added another response sometime today, I need to look...

(edit) OK this response looks more personalized, but it still doesn't seem completely relevant; we know for a fact the packages weren't opened. The inspector had to be acting on a hunch.

Response (translated using Google):

Dear Customer, Please note that all goods entering or leaving a country are subject to inspection by government customs agents, as this is a routine procedure. These agents are legally authorized to open a postal package to verify the content, determine the application of tax on its return or seizure, in accordance with the legislation of the country, and release it for delivery, when applicable, and the Post Office is responsible for proceeding as determined by these bodies. In order to obtain additional information, the sender may contact the Federal Revenue Service of Brazil through the website www.receita.fazenda.gov.br, link Ombudsman.

Our next step is to contact the Federal Revenue Service of Brazil, so we'll see how that goes. I don't want to make too much of fuss though, or we might find ourselves on a blacklist.

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stage 1 re-born: Update Wed Mar16 11:30am Central / 1:30pm São Paulo

Praise the Lord...

I checked tracking and it’s showing the package has arrived Sao Paulo and is headed to customs. So *that’s* good. I was mentally prepared to submit a lost package claim to the carrier. WTF.

Here's complete tracking information from moments ago:

Object forwarded to customs inspection for export
SAO PAULO-SP
03/16/2022 09:41

Object in transit - please wait
from Treatment Unit, SALVADOR - BA
for Integrated Logistics Unit, SAO PAULO - SP
03/09/2022 21:12

Object in transit - please wait
from Post Office, JACOBINA - BA
for Treatment Unit, SALVADOR - BA
03/08/2022 17:08

Object posted after unit cutoff time
JACOBINE - BA
Subject to forwarding next business day
03/08/2022 17:02

Last edited:

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Progress being made! I hope this works out as it is my only option short of switching to a work truck front end.

Same. All the aftermarket headlights are I've found are hot garbage. Even the glass lens options have poorly designed optics. Looking forward to good lights.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was at the garage yesterday and had the Suburban out, so I took some pictures... the headlights show well, but the truck's a little dirty.

I hint of blue is visible in the high beams. I use the Silverstar bulbs (the cheapies, not the ultras) b/c they've got a whiter light w/o looking bluish.

Attachments

• IMG_5611.jpg
    IMG_5611.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5612.jpg
    IMG_5612.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5613.jpg
    IMG_5613.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5618.jpg
    IMG_5618.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5621.jpg
    IMG_5621.jpg
    520.3 KB · Views: 29

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(more)

The "city light" fixture is visible as a black dot in the low-beam portion of each reflector. This fixture accommodates a 193-like bulb. I've left them unpopulated.

The city light was discussed earlier in this thread

(edit) The bottle caps underneath the wiper arms keep the pressure off the blades while it's in storage. (/edit)

Attachments

• IMG_5615.jpg
    IMG_5615.jpg
    509 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5616.jpg
    IMG_5616.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5619.jpg
    IMG_5619.jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5620-1.jpg
    IMG_5620-1.jpg