Wiring changes to suit ARTEB taillights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aussiecrewcab

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have seen the few threads about ARTEB taillights as used in Brazil. These were also used here in Australia in the locally sold Suburbans.
I have a LHD 96 C3500 crew cab out here that I am adding the Arteb taillights to to meet local registration requirements.
I note that no one has mentioned the changes to pin out on the bulb carriers and body side taillight harness.
Has anyone done the wiring swap ? And can confirm what they changed ?

I tested the ARTEB lights as per the 5 pin pic attached.

The body loom harness being a four pin with
DARK GREEN - right blinker
LIGHT GREEN - reverse lights
BROWN - taillights
YELLOW - left blinker

Any help ?
You must be registered for see images attach

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done the wiring swap ? And can confirm what they changed ?

Sorry for the late reply, I just saw this. Somehow this slipped my radar.

There's another member who's completed the change, @Cpufreak101. He's posted some information about his swap and he may be able to assist.

@JaySS and @SAATR have the Arteb taillights too, they may comment.

I have a pair myself but they're still sitting on the shelf :popcorn:

Last edited:

Cpufreak101

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply, I just saw this. Somehow this slipped my radar.

There's another member who's completed the change, @Cpufreak101. He's posted some information about his swap and he may be able to assist.

@JaySS and @SAATR have the Arteb taillights too, they may comment.

I have a pair myself but they're still sitting on the shelf :popcorn:
Hey sorry for the late response, just logged back in for the first time in a while, I'll try to say what I can off of memory.

So the 5 pin connector can be regularly found as it's been used in the Oldsmobile Alero and Pontiac Grand Am, if there's demand I'll start to stockpile these from junkyards.

As for the wiring, if the truck is a '94+ it's really simple actually as 90% of the work is already done. GM from the factory leaves a little white wire that just "ends" at the back of the truck. The purpose of this wire is to be where to wire the CHMSL for camper shells and the like and is connected directly to the brake switch. This is where I connected the brake lights to on mine and just made wiring a case of connecting the two sides together to that white wire. It saves having to run a wire all the way from the front.

To get the turn signals to work, I know this is different on different years, but for my '94 it was really simple as well. Off of the multifunction switch was a white wire that ran down to the brake pedal, this is what sends the brake light signal through the switch to allow them to be "combined". Just cutting this wire reverts it to a strictly turn signal only operation, and the old brake light wires can then be used as such. Reverse stays the same and just remember if you have a trailer plug you will now need a converter box as well (edit: noticed OP is in Australia. This step doesn't apply then, instead just requires adding the local plug), otherwise for me it was very simple. If anyone wants more details just ask, I'm a lil at work right now lol

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Aussiecrewcab, have you noticed that the Austrilian-market circuit board you have (pictured in your first post above, which says "Arteb", "Brasil", "R"... which is evidently for the right side) is DIFFERENT than those Arteb circuit boards which were sold in the South America market?

Look... this attached picture is of the Brazil market "R" (right) side circuit board, and it differs from yours.

Is your taillight different from those in the South American market? Please post a picture. I've posted a picture of the South American taillight for reference.

Note: The orientation of the South American circuit board in the picture below is a little distracting, but compare it to yours... particularly, note the location of the 5-pin connector w.r.t., the notch in the board... yours is more distant, the Arteb Brazil-market board is closer.

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for the wiring, if the truck is a '94+ it's really simple actually as 90% of the work is already done. GM from the factory leaves a little white wire that just "ends" at the back of the truck. The purpose of this wire is to be where to wire the CHMSL for camper shells and the like and is connected directly to the brake switch.

I believe something similar exists on the utility vehicles. The "white wire" @Cpufreak101 speaks of powers the CMHSL that's atop the rear of the Suburban / Tahoe / Blazer. The 1998 schematics show it to exist (attached), at least for that year.

Attachments

• GMT400 - taillights and hazard wiring diagram.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 6

Cpufreak101

Reaction score
Well here is the video I have promised.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

A fair warning, I did this all in just one take and I'm not the smoothest of speakers, so I hope that doesn't detract from the information in the video.

A couple corrections that need to be made already: as per the post above this it does seem there's an equivalent "little white wire" for the Utility models off the 3rd brake light, and they also do not have a brake light relay.

Otherwise this information applies to 1994 model year and earlier (just need to run a wire all the way back in 1993 and earlier models, and as per the diagrams I have they all seem wired the same but 1991 and earlier used different colors) but if I can find a good copy of later wiring diagrams I can check to see if later model years apply and any other mistakes I may have made will be appreciated to be pointed out!