A/C Compressor Replacement '94 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

name

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
very unlikely that vacuuming it will pull any oil out. I would check and see if your new compressor came with oil in it. I just put one on my 95 yesterday and it came with 7oz oil in it. I was not aware of that but it had a sticker on it telling me that it did. But you can add it through the suction port. I read somewhere that when you put the oil in turn the compressor over sevral times to get the oil moved around inside it.

Mine came with a yellow sticker saying it contained "shipping oil" and to drain it out and add the recommend oil and ammount for the application, I drained it out on a old towl and figure it had to be at least 3oz, maybe more.

name

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of you following this thread :

DIY tip #1

In seen a video of a guy pulling the orifice tube from a line behind the RT. turn signal, he was working on a truck but I figured they would be the same. However on my '94 suburban there is a junction in the line right next to the battery tray and the orifice tube was in there. I tore the front of my Suburban apart to make sure i had enough room to dig the orifice tube out without twisting the lines and it was not there. about 2 hrs of my life I will never get back. SMH...

At this point, I might as well just put new truck lines on it and forgo the block off kit, depending on if I can still get them.

name

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
what is that electrical switch on the condenser for ? Guy at Autozone says it is for the electric fan, but my 94 does not have an electric fan ...

Sawlty

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any results? Curious if after you deleted the rear air…did the front blow ice cold or is it not stellar? Thanks.

Sawlty

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure wish I could get my old 94 to blow cold.

I just can’t believe that GM would let a unit leave the factory with an air conditioning system that would not function properly. If I had test driven this thing back in 1994 and the AC didn’t blow cold, I would have bought something else.

If that isn’t the case, and the AC did blow cold front and rear, the I hope I can find my gremlin and get it back to its original condition.

Frustrating!